GeeCON Prague 2014*
The moose likes HTML, CSS and JavaScript and the fly likes AJAX, FLEX, or Swing? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » HTML, CSS and JavaScript
Reply locked New topic
Author

AJAX, FLEX, or Swing?

Elizabeth King
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Posts: 191
AJAX is based on HTML and JavaScript. Its functions are limited and it is hard to debug.

Flex has a lot of built-in functionally rich components and runs in its own VM. But you have to learn a different language.

Java Swing can be used to build a rich client application and it can run in a web browser when used with Java Web Start. If the Swing is developed as a web service client, firewall is not a issue.

Which technology would be your choice? Why?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61315
    
  66

For what? You can't pick the most appropriate tool for the job unless you know what the job is.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15299
    
    6

Originally posted by Elizabeth King:
AJAX is based on HTML and JavaScript. Its functions are limited and it is hard to debug.


And that statement is just plain FUD. All technologies are limited in some way and debugging is not an issue. Especially with a tool like Firebug.


GenRocket - Experts at Building Test Data
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Originally posted by Elizabeth King:
AJAX is based on HTML and JavaScript. Its functions are limited and it is hard to debug.

Flex has a lot of built-in functionally rich components and runs in its own VM. But you have to learn a different language.

Java Swing can be used to build a rich client application and it can run in a web browser when used with Java Web Start. If the Swing is developed as a web service client, firewall is not a issue.

Which technology would be your choice? Why?


Just as was asked already, why would you need to choose among these?
Elizabeth King
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Posts: 191
Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:


And that statement is just plain FUD. All technologies are limited in some way and debugging is not an issue. Especially with a tool like Firebug.


I can not use firefox in my dev enviornment.
Elizabeth King
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Posts: 191
Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
For what? You can't pick the most appropriate tool for the job unless you know what the job is.


There are many different way to get a job done. You can choose JEE or .NET, EJB or Spring, Hibernate or Toplink, Struts or JSF, the list goes on...

My guess is that Java Swing with JWS is too old to impress your clients or boss.
Elizabeth King
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Posts: 191
Originally posted by Jesus Angeles:


Just as was asked already, why would you need to choose among these?


Yes, it was asked. But no one can offer a straight answer. All the responses were just adding more questions.
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Originally posted by Elizabeth King:


There are many different way to get a job done. You can choose JEE or .NET, EJB or Spring, Hibernate or Toplink, Struts or JSF, the list goes on...

My guess is that Java Swing with JWS is too old to impress your clients or boss.


What do you mean 'old'?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61315
    
  66

Closed due to post of similar topic here.

[Elizabeth, as you have disabled any means to contact you, I cannot address your concerns. Do not post personal messages in the forums. PM me with any issues.]
[ August 11, 2008: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: AJAX, FLEX, or Swing?