All: I tried one examples from O'Reilly Chapter 9 - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml/chapter/ch09.xml (Examples 9-1 and 9-2) by creatint the ChapterOne.xml and <<associated file>>.xsl files. This is supposed to convert the XML to a PDF file. However, when I open ChapterOne.xml using the browser, I get only one line type="text/xslfo" What is wrong? I have no clue. Can anyone help me?
Frank: Thanks for the link. I am using Cocoon 1.8.2 but I still couldn't get it working. I think I have something wrong in the setup. I followed the Cocoon instructions but could not find out what is wrong. My cocoon directory is c:\cocoon and my build directory with all the cocoon classes are in C:\Cocoon\build directory. I have created a cocoon directory under c:\tomcat\webapps and have copied the necessary .jar files from c:\cocoon\lib to c:\tomcat\lib and also copied the samples directory from c:\cocoon to c:\tomcat\samples. Besides these, is there anything else I should do? Any specific settings in web.xml under c:\tomcat\webapps\cocoon\web-inf? Any suggestions?
[This message has been edited by Viji Bharat (edited February 02, 2001).]
Joined: Mar 31, 2000
Hi Viji, Are you able to see Cocoon.xml in your browser? This indicates that your cocoon setup is ok. Displaying ChapterOne.xml is a separate problem. The file shold display correctly in Netscape but in IE there is non standard implementation. I made a change to web.xml file that you mentioned. I added a line near the end something like <urlpattern>*.pdf</urlpattern> just like the *.xml line. This tells tomcat to use cocoon to display .pdf files. Change the name of the ChapterOne.xml file to ChapterOne.pdf Hopefully your pdf should display ok. frank
Joined: Sep 18, 2000
Frank: I get this error when I try to view Cocoon.xml from my browser (IE 5.0). Any suggestions to correct this error? Viji Publishing Engine could not be initialized. java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception when creating " org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor" : java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: See http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html#faq-normalize at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:124) at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Router.init(Router.java:80) at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:109) at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.<init>(Engine.java:179) at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.getInstance(Engine.java:232) at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:157) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doInit(ServletWrapper.java:317) at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.init(Handler.java:215) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java:296) at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:254) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743) at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:210) at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416) at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:498) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
Frank: I reinstalled cocoon 1.8.2 and made the necessary changes to server.xml, web.xml etc. but still I get the error "Publishing engine could not be initialized". If any of you had the same problem and found a way to correct this error, please let me know how you corrected the problem. Viji