It's not a secret anymore!*
The moose likes XML and Related Technologies and the fly likes SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » XML and Related Technologies
Bookmark "SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser" Watch "SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser" New topic
Author

SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser

Jane Cheeney
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 19, 2002
Posts: 1
After loading iPlanet on my Windows machines, I have built and deployed a java based application that was originally built on Solaris. This app uses xsl on the frontend. I have modified the configurations/classpaths for Windows, and successfuly connecting to the database, but now I find that we still cannot display any of the xsl pages. We are beginning by just trying to invoke an existing servlet that does nothing but display a simple page. This xsl pages does not pull any data from the database; it only uses existing xml files on the system to populate the page.
We receive the following error:
javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser
javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser at org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl.newTemplates(TransformerFactoryImpl.java:946) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.StylesheetCache.fillAllFromList(StylesheetCache.java:113) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.StylesheetCache.getTransformer(StylesheetCache.java:151) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.showPage(IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.java:192) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.showPage(IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.java:90) at com.gm.ilocate.servlet.DealerLocateServlet.displayEmailUpdate(DealerLocateServlet.java:48) at com.gm.ilocate.servlet.DealerLocateServlet.performTask(DealerLocateServlet.java:768) at com.gm.ilocate.servlet.DealerLocateServlet.service(DealerLocateServlet.java:829) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletInfo.service(Unknown Source) at com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletRunner.execute(Unknown Source) at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Unknown Source) at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Unknown Source) at com.kivasoft.thread.ThreadBasic.run(Native Method) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484) --------- javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser at org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl.newTemplates(TransformerFactoryImpl.java:942) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.StylesheetCache.fillAllFromList(StylesheetCache.java:113) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.StylesheetCache.getTransformer(StylesheetCache.java:151) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.showPage(IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.java:192) at com.gm.ilocate.infra.IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.showPage(IlocateTransformXMLtoXSL.java:90) at com.gm.ilocate.servlet.DealerLocateServlet.displayEmailUpdate(DealerLocateServlet.java:48) at com.gm.ilocate.servlet.DealerLocateServlet.performTask(DealerLocateServlet.java:768) at com.gm.ilocate.servlet.DealerLocateServlet.service(DealerLocateServlet.java:829) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletInfo.service(Unknown Source) at com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletRunner.execute(Unknown Source) at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Unknown Source) at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Unknown Source) at com.kivasoft.thread.ThreadBasic.run(Native Method) at java.lang.Thread.run

We have already tried to re-build and deploy with different versions of xml-apis.jar (the standard jar file containing the javax.xml classes) and SAX Parser classes, too see if this was a version incompatibility issue. We have also placed the xml classes/jar files at the front of our classpaths.
any ideas?
Thanks in advance!!!
Anonymous
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 22, 2008
Posts: 18944
Jane,
Moving your xml libraries in front of the classpath won't help if iPlanet uses different xml libraries in the boot classpath.
It looks like Xalan is using the SAXParser that comes with iPlanet, which may not support certain features.
The override this, set the system property "javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory" to the name of the SAXParser you want to use, which in Xalan's case should be "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl"
Cheers
[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Beno�t d'Oncieu ]
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: SAXException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser
 
Similar Threads
CMP
findByPrimary kEy for CMP raises exception
iplanet app server CMP deployment
Struts 1.0 and iPlanet 6.5 -- Urgent
iPlanet app server CMP deploying