wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Agile and Other Processes and the fly likes Implementation Patterns: static analisys Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Agile and Other Processes
Bookmark "Implementation Patterns: static analisys" Watch "Implementation Patterns: static analisys" New topic
Author

Implementation Patterns: static analisys

Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Dear Kent Beck,

First of all, thanks for visiting JavaRanch, it's truly an honour
to converse with you.

Secondly my question...do you have any preferred static analysis tools
you use, in order to help daily coding activities comply to the patterns listed in your book?

Kind regards,

Gian


"Eppur si muove!"
Kent Beck
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 07, 2003
Posts: 45
Dear Gian Franco,

I don't use any coding rule tools in my daily work. I think that it is my responsibility to make my code communicate as clearly as possible, so I assume that any deviations from "the rules" are there for a good reason.

Regards,

Kent Beck
Three Rivers Institute


Author of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596007434/ref=jranch-20" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">JUnit Pocket Guide</a>
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Originally posted by Kent Beck:
I don't use any coding rule tools in my daily work. I think that it is my responsibility to make my code communicate as clearly as possible, so I assume that any deviations from "the rules" are there for a good reason.


I see, I have to admit here that I haven't achieved that level of proficiency yet, and static analysis tools help to improve my work's quality.

Gian
Lasse Koskela
author
Sheriff

Joined: Jan 23, 2002
Posts: 11962
    
    5
Hmm. I find it interesting that you referred to static analysis tools as "coding rule" tools. Personally, I see them as information rather than rules.


Author of Test Driven (2007) and Effective Unit Testing (2013) [Blog] [HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch]
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
static analysis tools like pmd and checkstyle capture many of the most important aspects of coding in rules...so these are I guess "coding rule" tools...

Maybe "coding rule" tool doesn't cover the whole gamut of static analysis tools?
[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Gian Franco ]
Kent Beck
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 07, 2003
Posts: 45
Guys,

I'm sorry if I sounded high and mighty. I don't always get my code right and I can use help finding ugly spots. When I code in Smalltalk I use a tool called Smalllint. In Eclipse I use the built in code rules. For awareness of larger-scale issues I use Structure 101. My favorite technique, though, is pairing. If someone else understands what I'm writing, then I am usually on the right track.

Regards,

Kent Beck
Three Rivers Institute
Lasse Koskela
author
Sheriff

Joined: Jan 23, 2002
Posts: 11962
    
    5
Originally posted by Gian Franco:
static analysis tools like pmd and checkstyle capture many of the most important aspects of coding in rules...so these are I guess "coding rule" tools...

Well, even if PMD/Checkstyle talks about "rules", they're not really rules if you don't enforce them. To me they're more like indicators. If something shows up on the radar, I realize that I need to pay some attention to investigate. It may turn out that it's just a flock or birds and birds are OK so no need to shoot them down.
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:

Well, even if PMD/Checkstyle talks about "rules", they're not really rules if you don't enforce them. To me they're more like indicators. If something shows up on the radar, I realize that I need to pay some attention to investigate. It may turn out that it's just a flock or birds and birds are OK so no need to shoot them down.


True, and it totally depends on each individual team as to what extent the "rules" are indeed considered as such, if necessary treat them as binding, and as a consequence enforce them accordingly.
Walter Bernstein
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 19, 2007
Posts: 57
The best static analsys tool I know is IntelliJ (Inspections + Metrics Reloaded plugin). That stuff really improves my code.
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
 
subject: Implementation Patterns: static analisys
 
Similar Threads
Patterns and the GoF
Modelling Inner classes (static/non-static)
Release It!: How much Design and Deploy
Singleton
Best Design Pattern books