Win a copy of Mesos in Action this week in the Cloud/Virtualizaton forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Anti-Virus: impromptu scanning

 
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15302
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't run Anti-virus software. I don't use any Email clients like outlook and I don't download illegal software or visit porn sites. Yes, I am still taking a risk worms coming in through ports, but my firewall is pretty good. However, there are times when I run across a questionable file. So I'd like to scan that file but I don't want to run antivirus software all the time. It eats away at my PC's resources and I usually end up killing it after I boot up anyway. But I'd still like the option of say right clicking on a ZIP file and then clicking on Scan that would start a scan of the file, then that software would die when it is doen or clean the file if need be.

Any ideas?
 
Mahesh Rana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 139
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I had once used some online utility like
this.
 
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15302
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks. Problem with that is some of these files are rather large. It would be better if I had something local on my PC.
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've said before thatI usually leave my computer on for extended periods and have set up my anti-virus to update at 4am and scan at 5am, no problems. You should be able to install the free version of the AVG (www.grisoft.com) and turn off the auto tests, and it has a shell extension that allows you to right-click and scan files or directories. You probably want to leave the updates turned on though.

Dave
 
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15302
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by David O'Meara:
I've said before thatI usually leave my computer on for extended periods and have set up my anti-virus to update at 4am and scan at 5am, no problems. You should be able to install the free version of the AVG (www.grisoft.com) and turn off the auto tests, and it has a shell extension that allows you to right-click and scan files or directories. You probably want to leave the updates turned on though.

Dave


I've used AVG before. I guess maybe I wasn't doing it right. So I need to basically turn off all the auto stuff except for updates? That will keep it from doing anything until I tell it to, right?
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can't say for sure that you can turn off the scheduled tests, but you can certainly have scheduled updates and adhoc testing.
 
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15302
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
See, I'd prefer to have something that doesn't want to run at all by itself. That I can go into, start it up, scan some stuff, then shut it down. I guess I could just load and unload AVG when I need it. I'll see how that works.
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
OK, I double checked. Install, open the Control center, open the 'test center' on the right, click the 'scheduler' on the right again. This will show two scheduled entries, one update and one test. Double click the test and disable the periodic test.

The remaining problem is that AVG will likely still be resident and taking resources. Not sure what to do here, it's not in the 'startup' folder, you may have to search a bit to stop it starting when your machine boots and hopefully this won't stop the adhoc testing from working.

Good luck!
 
Jiang Xiaofeng
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:
I don't run Anti-virus software. I don't use any Email clients like outlook and I don't download illegal software or visit porn sites. Yes, I am still taking a risk worms coming in through ports, but my firewall is pretty good. However, there are times when I run across a questionable file. So I'd like to scan that file but I don't want to run antivirus software all the time. It eats away at my PC's resources and I usually end up killing it after I boot up anyway. But I'd still like the option of say right clicking on a ZIP file and then clicking on Scan that would start a scan of the file, then that software would die when it is doen or clean the file if need be.

Any ideas?




Yeah, run anti-virus software. What are you doing that's so resource intensive you don't think you can run anti-virus software?
 
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15302
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Jiang Xiaofeng:




Yeah, run anti-virus software. What are you doing that's so resource intensive you don't think you can run anti-virus software?


Trying to download the internet. Why does it matter? That doesn't help solve my problem.
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I know how you feel. My virus check originally kicked in at 5pm and evertything would just... stop. That's why I moved it to first thing in the morning.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic