This week's giveaway is in the Android forum.
We're giving away four copies of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons and have Godfrey Nolan on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Certification Results and the fly likes Passed SCEA5 Part 1 with 84% Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Certification Results
Bookmark "Passed SCEA5 Part 1 with 84%" Watch "Passed SCEA5 Part 1 with 84%" New topic
Author

Passed SCEA5 Part 1 with 84%

Daniel Pariser
Greenhorn

Joined: May 31, 2008
Posts: 2
I am very happy today because I unexpectedly cleared the SCEA5 Part1 (the exam).

I've been working with J2EE for several years now (since 2002). Last year in August I startet learning a little bit for the old J2EE SCEA part 1. Then stopped because of the voucher expiration time in the very far future. In April 2008 I figured out that Sun upgraded the exam to JEE 5.0. So I used my voucher 2 months ago to schedule my exam appointment just before the voucher expired, which took place today.

What I did for preparation of this exam was the following:

- passed the SCBCD 5.0 (EJB3 beta exam) in 2006 so this gave me a very good clue about EJB3
- took the Sun ePractice exams last weekend and yesterday
- had a quick read yesterday on this: http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2EE/intro_ee5/

This was pretty much it. I must admit that I did nearly not prepare at all because I bought the voucher during the 'one trial for free' promotion. Therefore I knew I would have a second chance.

The exam was very hard. You have roughly 2 minutes per question so you must answer quickly. I had 20 minutes left for the marked questions (about half the questions I had marked) but that time was running up very fast. My estimate when time was up was that I could have possible made it 50%. The more surprised was I about the 84%, very well distributed across all topics.

One side notice to the ePractice exam takers: There were a lot of questions with 2 or 3 choices in the real exam as opposed to mostly questions with one answer in the trial exam. So that was kind of misleading to me and I was really p***d in the exam because even the topics about let's say the most simple pattern like the singleton had 2 answers among 6, where at least 1 invalid answer was very close to being valid (so you must really carefully read even the obvious).

I think if you have some industry experience even if only theoretically and a good intuition what the target of the question is, then it's easy to pass.

I wish all other test takers good look!
Rogerio Kioshi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 12, 2005
Posts: 689
Congratulations!

What about the books? Which ones have you read in your studies?
Have you done some free mock exams from Internet?

Now you must pay us a beer!


SCEA 5 (part 1), SCBCD, SCWCD, SCJP, CLP, CLS
Daniel Abella
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 04, 2006
Posts: 134
Congratulations.


Cordially,<br />Daniel Abella<br />abellad@gmail.com<br /><a href="http://www.abella.com.br" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.abella.com.br</a><br />SCJP 1.4, SCWCD for J2EE 1.4, SCBCD for JEE 5.0, SCEA, SCEA 5.0 (I), SCMAD 1.0
Krishna Srinivasan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 28, 2003
Posts: 1844

congrats!!


Krishna Srinivasan
Spring Tutorials, OCAJP Mock Questions, 400+ OCPJP Mock Questions
Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 26, 2006
Posts: 4968
    
    1

Congratulations!!!

-Cameron McKenzie
Swapnil Sonawane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 02, 2008
Posts: 190
Congratulations!!


Swapnil S. Sonawane<br /> <br />B.Tech (Expected May 2009)<br />Computer Science, NIT Durgapur, India<br />SCJA 1.0
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Congrats!


SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
wang andrew
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 12, 2008
Posts: 31
Congratulation!
I hope I could get such a score tomorrow.
Rodrigo Cunha
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Posts: 44
Originally posted by Daniel Pariser:

One side notice to the ePractice exam takers: There were a lot of questions with 2 or 3 choices in the real exam as opposed to mostly questions with one answer in the trial exam. So that was kind of misleading to me and I was really p***d in the exam because even the topics about let's say the most simple pattern like the singleton had 2 answers among 6, where at least 1 invalid answer was very close to being valid (so you must really carefully read even the obvious).


First of all, congratulations for getting such a great score!
About the epractice level of questions, did you find the exam questions more difficult than the epractice? Or would it be about the same? (regardless of the number of choices issue)

thks


Rodrigo Cunha<br />SCJP, SCWCD, SCEA5(I)
Daniel Pariser
Greenhorn

Joined: May 31, 2008
Posts: 2
Originally posted by Rodrigo Cunha:


First of all, congratulations for getting such a great score!
About the epractice level of questions, did you find the exam questions more difficult than the epractice? Or would it be about the same? (regardless of the number of choices issue)

thks


Hmm, good question. As said, the practice question had mostly only one valid answer and this was in many cases the only feasible answer. You could very easily guess the correct answer once you familiarized with the asking style. This was not the case in the real exam. In the real exam, most questions had more than one answer, which made this a lot harder. The 2 minutes per question is hardly enough time to read and fully understand the question.

That said and looking back I think the epractice was a good place to familiarize with the style of the questions in order to not be shocked in the real exam.

Thanks
Rodrigo Cunha
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Posts: 44
Originally posted by Daniel Pariser:


Hmm, good question. As said, the practice question had mostly only one valid answer and this was in many cases the only feasible answer. You could very easily guess the correct answer once you familiarized with the asking style. This was not the case in the real exam. In the real exam, most questions had more than one answer, which made this a lot harder. The 2 minutes per question is hardly enough time to read and fully understand the question.

That said and looking back I think the epractice was a good place to familiarize with the style of the questions in order to not be shocked in the real exam.

Thanks


Thank you for the reply, I took the exam and actually found the time an issue.

have you finished second part?

regards
Pavan Menon
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2008
Posts: 85
Congrats Party Time


SCJP 6.0<br />--------<br /><a href="http://credit-card-types.blogspot.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Wisdom Credit Cards</a>
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Passed SCEA5 Part 1 with 84%
 
Similar Threads
SCEA5
Cleared SCEA5 (1) this morning 68%
SCEA5 passed
Passed SCEA5-Part 1 today(31st March 2009)
chinatag SCEA5 exam simulator