This week's giveaway is in the Android forum.
We're giving away four copies of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons and have Godfrey Nolan on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Product and Other Certifications and the fly likes Questions about 287 Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Product and Other Certifications
Bookmark "Questions about 287" Watch "Questions about 287" New topic
Author

Questions about 287

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 07, 2003
Posts: 4982
Hi Howard,
I would like to ask questions about 287.
I have read the exam content of 285, which requires us to read a lot of the WSAD functionalities, as well as the prespectives. It also requires us to understand how to write, compile, deploy Java systems, as well as the environment configuration.
I wonder, will the exam 287 be the same, but focus on how WSAD works with J2EE applications? Or it focuses more on J2EE knowledge, and a little part of WSAD with J2EE?
I have worked with WSAD for around 1/2 years, and I think it is very useful for developing J2EE applications. However, up till now, I think it provides many functions that I even never used before. That's why I think I may read more on how WSAD works, together with J2EE knowledge required by the exam.
Please advice.
Nick.


SCJP 1.2, OCP 9i DBA, SCWCD 1.3, SCJP 1.4 (SAI), SCJD 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 (Beta), ICED (IBM 287, IBM 484, IBM 486), SCMAD 1.0 (Beta), SCBCD 1.3, ICSD (IBM 288), ICDBA (IBM 700, IBM 701), SCDJWS, ICSD (IBM 348), OCP 10g DBA (Beta), SCJP 5.0 (Beta), SCJA 1.0 (Beta), MCP(70-270), SCBCD 5.0 (Beta), SCJP 6.0, SCEA for JEE5 (in progress)
Howard Kushner
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 19, 2003
Posts: 361
Originally posted by Nicholas Cheung:
Hi Howard,
I would like to ask questions about 287.
I have read the exam content of 285, which requires us to read a lot of the WSAD functionalities, as well as the prespectives. It also requires us to understand how to write, compile, deploy Java systems, as well as the environment configuration.
I wonder, will the exam 287 be the same, but focus on how WSAD works with J2EE applications? Or it focuses more on J2EE knowledge, and a little part of WSAD with J2EE?
I have worked with WSAD for around 1/2 years, and I think it is very useful for developing J2EE applications. However, up till now, I think it provides many functions that I even never used before. That's why I think I may read more on how WSAD works, together with J2EE knowledge required by the exam.
Please advice.
Nick.

Hi Nick,
The 287 test is for the enterprise developer and includes more about J2EE balanced with how to accomplish development and deployment the WebSphere way. I offer two links below to the IBM test objectives and the preface to my book. Hope this helps.
  • 287 Objectives
  • Preface

  • Regards,


    Howard Kushner<br />IBM Certified Enterprise Developer - WebSphere Studio Application Developer V5.0<br />IBM Certified Advanced System Administrator - WebSphere Application Server V5.0<br />IBM Certified Solution Developer - Web Services with WebSphere Studio V5.1<br /><a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931182108/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Developing J2EE Applications with WebSphere Studio</a> my Certification Study Guide for IBM Test 287
    Ko Ko Naing
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Jun 08, 2002
    Posts: 3178
    Originally posted by Howard Kushner:

    Hi Nick,
    The 287 test is for the enterprise developer and includes more about J2EE balanced with how to accomplish development and deployment the WebSphere way. I offer two links below to the IBM test objectives and the preface to my book. Hope this helps.
  • 287 Objectives
  • Preface

  • Regards,

    Hi Mr.Howard,
    By reviewing the objectives again, I found out that one should possess EJB knowledge to try this exam... I just would like to know if the level of EJB contents of the exam is comparable to SCBCD... I am going for SCBCD in May and I've already sat for the SCWCD beta exam... Meanwhile I think I can go for 287 parallelly with SCBCD...
    Could u please provide some comparison for level of EJB knowledge in 287 and SCBCD? Thank you...


    Co-author of SCMAD Exam Guide, Author of JMADPlus
    SCJP1.2, CCNA, SCWCD1.4, SCBCD1.3, SCMAD1.0, SCJA1.0, SCJP6.0
    Pradeep bhatt
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Feb 27, 2002
    Posts: 8904

    Howard
    When is your book on WebServices certification coming out?


    Groovy
    Nicholas Cheung
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Nov 07, 2003
    Posts: 4982
    Hi Ko Ko,

    I just would like to know if the level of EJB contents of the exam is comparable to SCBCD...

    The level of difficulty of 287 is a bit easier than that of SCBCD, as you expected, there are only 60+ Qs but 287 tests not only EJB, but also JSP, Servlet, JDBC, JAXP, JAAS, Design pattern, etc.
    And thus, it focuses on general J2EE knowledge, and how to develop J2EE applications using WSAD.
    Nick.
    Aji Dharma
    Greenhorn

    Joined: Nov 27, 2001
    Posts: 10
    Hi all,
    I understand that to become IBM Certified Enterprise Developer - you must complete SCJP. However, is SCJP a mandatory before we can do test 287 or 484 ?
    Thanks
    Aji
    Ko Ko Naing
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Jun 08, 2002
    Posts: 3178
    Originally posted by Aji Dharma:
    Hi all,
    I understand that to become IBM Certified Enterprise Developer - you must complete SCJP. However, is SCJP a mandatory before we can do test 287 or 484 ?
    Thanks
    Aji

    No, u can take any order... Once u finish all, then u'll become IBM Certified Enterprise Developer... That's all...
    Aji Dharma
    Greenhorn

    Joined: Nov 27, 2001
    Posts: 10
    Thanks Ko Ko,
    How about SCBCD or SCWCD ? do I need to pass SCJP before taking them ?
    Because I've been working with Java for almost 3 years now, but never really thought about doing cert. until now. If I don't have to do SCJP than can jump to J2EE certs. (either Sun or IBM) it'll save me time and money.
    cheers
    Aji
    Siripa Siangklom
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Jan 26, 2004
    Posts: 79

    How about SCBCD or SCWCD ? do I need to pass SCJP before taking them ?

    Yes, They require SCJP2.
    Ko Ko Naing
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Jun 08, 2002
    Posts: 3178
    Originally posted by Aji Dharma:
    Thanks Ko Ko,
    How about SCBCD or SCWCD ? do I need to pass SCJP before taking them ?
    Because I've been working with Java for almost 3 years now, but never really thought about doing cert. until now. If I don't have to do SCJP than can jump to J2EE certs. (either Sun or IBM) it'll save me time and money.
    cheers
    Aji

    Yes, Aji. U do need SCJP any version for SCBCD and SCWCD... But if u have 3 years working experience in Java, then it wouldn't take long for u to fetch SCJP... It's worth to try ur Java Knowledge, challenging witht the cert... Some of the Java features that u've never used will be reviewed again, if u prepare for SCJP...
    It's just my suggestion....
     
    I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
     
    subject: Questions about 287
     
    Similar Threads
    Difference between Test 285 & 287
    IBM 484 - Will I get a Certificate from IBM
    Passed 484 with 91%
    To Howard: IBM 287
    Value of 287/ICED?