aspose file tools*
The moose likes Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA) and the fly likes Preparing for SCEA Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of The Java EE 7 Tutorial Volume 1 or Volume 2 this week in the Java EE forum
or jQuery UI in Action in the JavaScript forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA)
Bookmark "Preparing for SCEA" Watch "Preparing for SCEA" New topic
Author

Preparing for SCEA

rohan tiwari
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 82
Hello,

I am planing to go for SCEA after a couple of months.I need names of a few books which would be helpful for SCEA.
Also,Is there any news about when SCEA 5 is being introduced?


SCJP 5, SCWCD 1.4, SCJD 5
Marcel Dullaart
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 07, 2007
Posts: 55
Hi Rohan,

I used Mark Cade'sthe book written by Mark Cade and Simon Roberts for part I, which worked out fine.
I found it not so sufficient for preparing part II.

Anyway success,
Marcel


"It would be faithless now to say farewell." (FotR, p. 419)
http://marcels-javanotes.blogspot.com/
Paul Michael
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 02, 2001
Posts: 697
Hi Rohan,

You might be interested in my study notes for Part I.

Hope this helps!


SCJP 1.2 (89%), SCWCD 1.3 (94%), IBM 486 (90%), SCJA Beta (96%), SCEA (91% / 77%), SCEA 5 P1 (77%), SCBCD 5 (85%)
rohan tiwari
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 82
Thanks
David Sica
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 09, 2002
Posts: 39
Originally posted by Paul Michael:
Hi Rohan,

You might be interested in my study notes for Part I.

Hope this helps!


This is a great resource! I'm doubtful that you would go back and update it now that you passed Part I but have you thought about updating the study notes for the new SCEA 5 exam?

David
Paul Michael
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 02, 2001
Posts: 697
Hi David! I'm actually thinking about updating it.

But since my preparations for SCEA 5 was a bit hurried, I didn't manage to create a mindmap for that particular exam.

Anyway, I'm hoping to just include my firefox bookmarks file (which I'm still trying to cleanup) for SCEA 5.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Padma Prasad
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2002
Posts: 76
Hi,

I am preparing for SCEA 5. I am planning to buy couple of books mentioned in some of the threads here. There was a good recommendation for Sun Certified Enterprise Architecture for J2EE Technology Study Guide by Mark Cade and Simon Roberts. I see that there is a recent published edition of this book (publishing date is February 2005). But I don't see this book available anywhere. SCEA guide available in the market is with publishing date March 2002. Are there any major differences in these two books? Do I have to wait until the latest publication is available in the market? or can I go ahead buying the old edition? Could someone help me please?

Thanks,
Padma.
Paul Michael
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 02, 2001
Posts: 697
Originally posted by David Sica:


This is a great resource! I'm doubtful that you would go back and update it now that you passed Part I but have you thought about updating the study notes for the new SCEA 5 exam?

David


Hi David,

I just managed to create a new mindmap for the SCEA 5 Part I resources that I used last year.

I hope you find it useful and that it's not too late for your preparations.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Michael
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 02, 2001
Posts: 697
Originally posted by Padma Prasad:
Hi,

I am preparing for SCEA 5. I am planning to buy couple of books mentioned in some of the threads here. There was a good recommendation for Sun Certified Enterprise Architecture for J2EE Technology Study Guide by Mark Cade and Simon Roberts. I see that there is a recent published edition of this book (publishing date is February 2005). But I don't see this book available anywhere. SCEA guide available in the market is with publishing date March 2002. Are there any major differences in these two books? Do I have to wait until the latest publication is available in the market? or can I go ahead buying the old edition? Could someone help me please?

Thanks,
Padma.


Hi Padma,

I'm not aware of any "new versions" of the Cade book. The book will still be helpful for your preparations but a lot of chapters (like UML, i18n) will not be as relevant as it did before with the old SCEA (at least for Part I).

It's totally up to you whether you want to buy the old version, but if you're looking for a single book for your whole SCEA preparations I don't think there's anything currently in the market which matches that criteria because of the very wide coverage of the exam.

Hope this helps.

Paul
sameer P.
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 11, 2007
Posts: 14
Isn't there any new study guide published for SCEA 5. How much relevant is the old SCEA book by Mark Cade applicable to the new exam (SCEA 5)? If i had to go for the part I certification, which other books should i refer ? :roll:
Juan Pablo Crossley
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Posts: 128
I also wrote some notes about this, take a look of it in http://javaxcross.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-pass-scea-5.html

Let me know if that helps you, or if something is missing and I'll try to update it.


SCJP, SCBCD, SCEA 5, MCP

How to pass SCEA 5 | 2, 3, N-tier which one should I pick? | Analysis of persistence layer from SCEA 5 perspective | Swing... why not?
Paul Michael
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 02, 2001
Posts: 697
Originally posted by Sameer Pan:
Isn't there any new study guide published for SCEA 5. How much relevant is the old SCEA book by Mark Cade applicable to the new exam (SCEA 5)? If i had to go for the part I certification, which other books should i refer ? :roll:


There have been some news that Cameron is busy working on a SCEA 5 book but I'm not sure when that book will be released.

As far as the relevance of the Cade book for the new exam, the chapters on UML and i18n will NOT be as useful as before for Part I of the exam.

Also, in my opinion, the case study chapter continues to be a good resource for Part II of the exam.

You will at least need some good resources on EJB/JPA (like Oreilly's EJB 3 book), Core J2EE Patterns and JSF (online tutorials will do) for Part I.

GoF Design Patterns are already covered in Cade's book, but if you want a more user-friendly approach, you can also checkout Head First Design Patterns.

For a full listing of SCEA 5 recommended books, you might want to visit this Amazon aStore.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Preparing for SCEA