aspose file tools*
The moose likes Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD) and the fly likes Thread safe about session and request scope Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD)
Bookmark "Thread safe about session and request scope" Watch "Thread safe about session and request scope" New topic
Author

Thread safe about session and request scope

Jack Lau
Ranch Hand

Hello All,

I would like to clarify the concept of thread safe about session and request scope, if I am wrong, please feel free to tell me.

For session, it is non-thread safe because if 2 threads, tA1 and tA2, access same servletA simutanously, the session object comes from both request and is refered by both reference. So both reference refer to the same session object.

For request, it is thread safe because when tA1 and tA2 access same servletA, both request will be generated from servlet container and pass to the service method of servletA. So both reference of request refer to different request object.

Am I right?

Thanks in advance!
Jack
Shiang Wang
Ranch Hand

Yes, you are right.
Multiple requests might access the same session, that is why session is not thread safe. While at any given time, only one thread can process one request, even if it forwards to a different servlet/jsp, they share the same attributes that are in scope of request.

SCBCD, SCWCD, SCJP
Jack Lau
Ranch Hand

Thank you!
Jack
Jack Lau
Ranch Hand

um, I still do not understand that if request 1 and request 2 are coming from different clients, client 1 and client 2 respectively, they actually have different session (e.g. different session id). So the objects in session scope should be thread safe?
Mikalai Zaikin
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jack Lau:
um, I still do not understand that if request 1 and request 2 are coming from different clients, client 1 and client 2 respectively, they actually have different session (e.g. different session id). So the objects in session scope should be thread safe?

Hi Jack,

objects in session scope are NOT thread safe, you can have SEVERAL *browser instances* running on the same machine having same session ID cookies, thus participating in the same session.

How to emulate this situation is described here.

regards,
MZ

Free SCDJWS 5.0 Study Guide - SCDJWS 5.0 Quiz (How to get SCDJWS 5.0 Quiz)
Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Web Services Developer Certified Expert Exam Study Guide and Quiz

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread safe about session and request scope