permaculture playing cards*
The moose likes Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD) and the fly likes Thread safety and cookie age question... Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD)
Bookmark "Thread safety and cookie age question..." Watch "Thread safety and cookie age question..." New topic
Author

Thread safety and cookie age question...

Amitkumar Dhama
Ranch Hand

hi all following is the explanation given for a question. servlet implementing SingletTreadModel.

Three data elements are always thread-safe, they are:
1.Local variable
2.Request attribute
3.Session attribute
For instance variables, they are NOT safe unless the servlet is a SingleThreadModel servlet, which means there is only one thread accessing one instance at one moment.
For static/class variables, they are always NOT thread safe, even with SingleThreadModel marker.

I got this explanation in iris mock, is it correct?
coz, as far as I know session attributes are not thread safe�

Help me out in clearing this one�

and also please tell me if i'll set cookie age to -1 wgat will happen?

Thanking in advance�

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4, M.Tech(CSE)
Charith Fernando
Ranch Hand

according to my knowledge i agree with u with the part where session variables are not thread safe..

the only thread safe variables are request attributes and local variables...

for ur second problem relating to cookie age.. when u set it to -1 it lasts forever...

Charith I Fernando<br />SCJP5, SCWCD, SCBCD, BSc(Hons) IS<br />+94 773 263 222 (mobile)
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Moreover, setting the cookie age to a negative value will cause it to be deleted when the web browser exits (specs, setMaxAge)

[My Blog]
All roads lead to JavaRanch

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread safety and cookie age question...