I just did my exams and scored 86%. Cool by some people but not by me. If i had free my mind, i would hava gotten at least 96 - 100%.So base on mine mistakes, i have decided to share this with my ranch mates.
1. Make the exam a background thread. Do not prepare for the exam, but try to learn the technology as it's applied. Very often, you hava to do exercise and dumps. If you do, you might find yourself, preparing for the exam and not knowing the tech, and of course more memorising for the exam.
2. Give yourself enough time, though this is relative, depending on how much you know about the tech. Since you know java (SCJP), i think 3-4 months just ok. To LEARN and MASTER it all.
3. The learning aspect might mean read like for HFSJ twice. So on the third sweep, am now ready to master it. So, i go through the chapters and answering the question. Always try to figure out why answers are correct and why they are not. Sorry, before i for get you have to make your note as you go through this phase. At the end of this phase, you weak and strong points would have been known.
4. Finally, take the topic randomly paying more attention on you weak points. For me, it was custom tags. At the exams, i got 100%. At this stage, start with your dumps, always try include new discoveries fro dumps in you note. PLEASE don't forget you STRONG POINT, go through them once a while. I made this mistake and paid for it(scoring 50% on action tags ).
5. Bring the exam thread to running state. Read anything you can lay your hand on, more of revision. When you are ready, You will just know. Wish all the best am already at the SCBCD room.
It's funny that you've posted this because I have been preparing for this exam here and there and feel that I need to do more hands on work to study. I think that this post has confirmed that I need to do this. Thanks!
Hi guys, I would want to tell you all, that this is my favourite padock in this ranch. I strongly feel that, one shouldn't spend all the hard earned bucks on certification exams. Almost all the materials are available free. Some of my resource areas are :
1. Get HFSJ. 2. For topics like JNDI and EJB resources, check the Tomcate doc on these areas. You will just be more than ok. 3. For Dynamic attributes, check the JSP and Servlet API. 4. Finally, your best resources, remain these nice guys at the ranch. Stay close and very close before the exam.
Thanks, wishing you all happy Xmas and and merry new year. (Coming 2 America)
SCJP SCJA SCWCD SCBCD Pro.....
Joined: Apr 03, 2005
I have been reading HFSJ (which I do highly recommend), but I've also been reading Sun Certified Web Component Developer Study Guide (Exam 310-081) by David Bridgewater. I like the format because it is like K&B for the SCJP (it's from the same publisher and series). I have found a couple of errors (missing bracket in an exam question, but the answer isn't "won't compile", etc), but I would still recommend the book. There are a lot of examples to work through which is something I like about the book.
Thanks for good suggestions for preparation of SCWCD. I have to do hands on now.
Thanks once again. Cheers.
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
HI Athi, Thanks for your contribution. All the same, the exam isn't as tough as you might be thinking. All you have to do is get yourself HFSJ by Kathy and Bates, the specs. With this you should be ok. Make sure you have alot of hands on, cause the more error you get use to, the less you hava to memorise for the exams. you can send me a personal mail at email@example.com so that i can forward a dump. Wishing you all the best.
Originally posted by mi Mohammed: HI Athi, Thanks for your contribution. All the same, the exam isn't as tough as you might be thinking. All you have to do is get yourself HFSJ by Kathy and Bates, the specs.. SCJA SCJP SCWCD
hi ranchers exam is really tough. after passing the exam everyone says it is easy. i am saying whole heartly , really exam is tough. hfsj does not cover design patterns questions. i have not given hfsj final mock . after passing exam i check final mock exam . i find only 5 question are exactly same and all other are little bit of same type. and there are 5 drag and drop questions.
Joined: Aug 21, 2005
Thanks a lot! ansar basha
Any suggestion are most welcome! NRegards
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Hey Guys, when i said "All the same, the exam isn't as tough as you might be thinking". Am not saying you can go to sleep and hope to pass the exams. Please don't get me wrong. By my statement, i mean with adiquate preparation, it becomes easy. My strong point here is to discourage "Memorising", which often get lots of people on the wrong edge. The more you do a particular action, the more you are able to apply it and of course, the better your understandding. Hope i have explain my stands properly. Cheers to you all.