I have a lot of spare time but I am new to Servlet and JSP. I have heard some people say 6 weeks is needed to prepare and others say you need about 6 months to prepare.
The reason why I asked this is because I want to have an idea of how long I should prepare so that I don't give it too much time. For example, I don't want to spend 6 months learning if it takes 6 weeks.
It varies from person to person. But here is how I would prepare myself if I am new completely to new a subject.
1. Pick up a good book (how to find? forums again!) and read it cover to cover to an understanding of the technology. Usually it should take a week to complete this task. FYI: I read 100 pages in 3 hours.
2. Now read each chapter and try out few examples. This task takes more time. Again FYI: My prep times for this task varied from 3 to 4 weeks working 10 hours a day, when I was not working
3. Now read specs/API. This is something not everybody likes and really depends on your excitment level. If you are really fired up it should take a couple of weeks to digest this information. Because you need to try out some examples when reading specs.
4. Take a sample test and find the areas of improvement. This is the point where your actual preparation starts
5. Now improve your knowledge and start taking mock exams. I took one mock exam per day for a week. After each exam I identified areas of improvement and worked on them.
6. Now take the plunge. Satisfaction after you pass is priceless. For everything else ranchers are here
I'm preparing...preparing...for the last 6 months but not studying for it or rather not finding enough time. Anyhow, I'm planning to finish it before July end. So normally, for an inexperienced, it should not take more than 2 months...