I am getting an access error thrown by Naming.rebind(...) when starting up my server. The message is - access denied (java.io.FilePermission \\c\jdev\JavaDevCertProj read) I have tried opening up the permissions in my policy file using the <<ALL FILES>> setting and even the Security.policy.ALLPermissions settings. Even with any of these options I still get the access error. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Let me add some more detail to the situation. I want to get this working with the policy file in place. It used to work. I submitted it. And my evaluation was positive (So I am assuming the grader did not experience this problem or nothing would have worked). But I have some non-related issues to fix and resubmit. So I started by unpacking my submitted jar and running it. I cannot figure out why I am now getting this access error that occurs even when I use the allpermissions setting in the policy file.
Hi Tony, Is there possibly some environmental issue like upgrading from Windows 2000 to XP or changing JRE's from 1.3 to 1.4? I have also experienced what is seemingly random flakiness with RMI and security and eventually just get lucky. Maybe if you can just think of something that may have changed since submission you may be able to resolve the problem. Hope this helps, Michael Morris
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Ernst F. Schumacher
Joined: Aug 12, 2002
That is a good point. Between the RMI working and not working, I installed java 1.4.1_01. Once I noticed the RMI issue, I reverted back by setting my path and JAVA_HOME back to the 1.3.1_04 version. So you may be on to something. But I also have tried it on another machine at 1.3.1 and no 1.4.0 and I get the same RMI access error.