aspose file tools*
The moose likes Developer Certification (SCJD/OCMJD) and the fly likes GUI assignment ambiguous? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Developer Certification (SCJD/OCMJD)
Bookmark "GUI assignment ambiguous?" Watch "GUI assignment ambiguous?" New topic
Author

GUI assignment ambiguous?

Itapaj� Takeguma
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 21, 2004
Posts: 41
I really think the assignment on Bodgitt and Scarper, LLC isn't clear about the GUI. I don't know if I should, for instance, put in the main client frame buttons for insert, update, delete, or just a book button or both.
And if it's true that i shall put a book button, should I let someone update, or book an already booked record.

Can someone (who have got Bodgitt and Scarper, LLC assignment) explain he/she understanding about what the GUI should provide.

thanks,
Itapaj� Takeguma
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Posts: 1033
Originally posted by Itapaj� Takeguma:
I really think the assignment on Bodgitt and Scarper, LLC isn't clear about the GUI. I don't know if I should, for instance, put in the main client frame buttons for insert, update, delete, or just a book button or both.
And if it's true that i shall put a book button, should I let someone update, or book an already booked record.

Can someone (who have got Bodgitt and Scarper, LLC assignment) explain he/she understanding about what the GUI should provide.

thanks,
Itapaj� Takeguma



I don't have B&S but the same is true of the UyB assignment. The spec is far from clear on many of the requirements. The design is up to you and is probably acceptable if its easy to use and you can justify your choices. I've provided a JTable with a menu item and double click requesting the book action. I don't allow a user to book rooms that are already booked and I enforce the 48hr rule, but allow the user to override it if they provide a "key operator" or manager name.

I've provided all the database commands at the network interface but don't give the user any way to use them at present. I am considering adding the create room command when I'm done to prove the extensibility of the system based on the framework I'm providing.
Steven Hoodless
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 23, 2004
Posts: 64
Itapaj�,

You will find people on here who've passed having a delete, add, update button on the GUI alongside book and search. You will also find people like me who passed without giving the users delete, add etc just book and search. You decide and you must justify your reasons. My view is to stick to the spec, give them what they want and don't overburden yourself.

I didn't allow booked records to be rebooked but I know some people did. In a real world application you wouldn't want your booking to be cancelled and rebooked by someone else but is that a requirement in the spec? I quite like the idea or rebooking booked records now.

Steven


SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD.
Itapaj� Takeguma
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 21, 2004
Posts: 41
Good then,

but, if I put a book button, I think I shall put a unbook button.
I'm starting to think this: because the users are going to do just booking and unbooking, the users could just have book and search buttons and the stand alone version could allow for insert, delete and update, but the assignment says that we should use the same GUI to both: remote client and stand alone client.

Oh, I have another question: the assinment says that when someone tries to lock a locked field, he has to wait. But if the client waits in the same thread, the client GUI gets stuck. my question is: has anyone passed with full point at the GUI leaving the GUI locked in these situations?

Oh, one more point: does the GUI has to be "pretty"? my GUI is very ugly, functional, but ugly.

thaks guys,
Itapaj� Takeguma.
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Posts: 1033
Originally posted by Itapaj� Takeguma:
Good then,

but, if I put a book button, I think I shall put a unbook button.
I'm starting to think this: because the users are going to do just booking and unbooking, the users could just have book and search buttons and the stand alone version could allow for insert, delete and update, but the assignment says that we should use the same GUI to both: remote client and stand alone client.

Oh, I have another question: the assinment says that when someone tries to lock a locked field, he has to wait. But if the client waits in the same thread, the client GUI gets stuck. my question is: has anyone passed with full point at the GUI leaving the GUI locked in these situations?

Oh, one more point: does the GUI has to be "pretty"? my GUI is very ugly, functional, but ugly.

thaks guys,
Itapaj� Takeguma.


If you lock up the GUI you will certainly lose points. The GUI must never become unresponsive. To achieve this your business actions such as book and search should start threads which wait for the server response and then use SwingUtilities.invokeLater to run methods that fire events back to listeners that have registered with your business layer.

Look at the swing tutorial, how to use threads for more help on this.
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

Joined: Mar 28, 2003
Posts: 11460
    
  94

Hi Itapaj�,

Oh, one more point: does the GUI has to be "pretty"? my GUI is very ugly, functional, but ugly.


The user interface is only worth 10% of the score, but it should be an easy 10% to get.

As I understand it, the examiners are looking for use of "standard" GUI features (menu bars / tool bars / accelerators), standard layouts, the ability to resize screens logically, and so on. Nothing too difficult.

Regards, Andrew


The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 5: paper version from Amazon, PDF from Apress, Online reference: Books 24x7 Personal blog
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Posts: 1033
Originally posted by Andrew Monkhouse:
Hi Itapaj�,



The user interface is only worth 10% of the score, but it should be an easy 10% to get.

As I understand it, the examiners are looking for use of "standard" GUI features (menu bars / tool bars / accelerators), standard layouts, the ability to resize screens logically, and so on. Nothing too difficult.

Regards, Andrew


I agree with Andrew on this point. The GUI should be plain, responsive and use standard UI features. This is even more applicable to the B&S project as renovators don't really go for that pretty stuff, the good ones like "Form Follows Function". If it was the "Pampered Pooch Poodle Pavilion" or "Hair Today, Gown Tomorrow Bridal Makeovers" then pretty might be a requirement.
Itapaj� Takeguma
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 21, 2004
Posts: 41
thanks guys.

I have never seen this SwingUtilities, but I will give a good look at that.

thanks again,
Itapaj� Takeguma
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Posts: 1033
Originally posted by Itapaj� Takeguma:
thanks guys.

I have never seen this SwingUtilities, but I will give a good look at that.

thanks again,
Itapaj� Takeguma


Here's an example of the use of listeners (the Observable pattern) and invokeLater being used.
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Posts: 1033
That should read "Observer pattern" not "Observable pattern", although the code shown is in the "observable".
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: GUI assignment ambiguous?