aspose file tools*
The moose likes Developer Certification (SCJD/OCMJD) and the fly likes Thread.sleep(15000) inside actionlistener Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Developer Certification (SCJD/OCMJD)
Bookmark "Thread.sleep(15000) inside actionlistener" Watch "Thread.sleep(15000) inside actionlistener" New topic
Author

Thread.sleep(15000) inside actionlistener

Mike Grandmaison
Greenhorn

Hi,

I can't seem to figure out how to refresh my serverstatusdialog with a message that says shutting down in 15 seconds and then sleeping 15 and doing a system.exit(-1).

Basically my SSD has a shutdown action called when shutdown is pressed. This action create a confirm dialog with the ok of the confirm i unbind the rmi server, set a flag to prevent more requests, and then set the text value of the textfield on the SSD to "shutting down delaying 15 seconds" and finally Thread.sleep(15000).

What happens is the SSD freezes and does not update with the text, 15 seconds passes and the application quits.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Don't use sleep. The best way to schedule an event is to use a timer. If you are in a Swing GUI, you can use the javax.swing.Timer class, which is much easier to use than the java.util.Timer. The Swing timer causes an event to be fired when the time value expires.
Mike Grandmaison
Greenhorn

Yeah that worked well.

Thanks for the tip!

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread.sleep(15000) inside actionlistener