Okay, so I'm trying to set up my first Java Web Start application. Now, I've been trying to use what I can find in the Developer's Guide. Unfortunately, when it came tmie to try to launch my app, I've hit a snag. I've created the JNLP file and an HTML page with a link to it. Also, I've talked to the folks at my hosting service and asked them to set the MIME type for .jnlp files to application/x-java-jnlp-file. However, when I click on the link to the .jnlp file (which can be found here), the browser simply displays the JNLP file as if it were XML. Does that mean that the MIME type is set incorrectly, or is something else wrong? Thanks, Corey
hi, you're link works for me: my browser (mozilla) pops up and question me, if I would like to open the file using JavaWebStart. So I suppose, the problem lies within the configuration of your browser, or that of JavaWebStart respectively. When JSW installs intself it normally updates the .mime.types file (that's for linux of course). so either you might try to reinstall JavaWebStart, or you dig through the config files yourself. If you just want to run your app with JWS you can download the jnlp file and provide it as argument to the javaws executable. Running your app results in a security exception as you provide unsigned jar files but request all permissions. either you restrict the permissions or sign the jars with jarsigner. cheers, Chantal
Joined: Dec 20, 2001
Originally posted by Chantal Ackermann: you're link works for me...
Hmph. Well, I had expected the security error - I was just hoping to see Java Web Start launch. Based on what you had said, I downloaded the latest version of Mozilla and tried it out and it worked perfectly. I then went ahead and signed the jar file so now the entire application runs - it's totally cool! (Not the app, mind you, just the fact that I can make it run. ) Anyway, I've been trying to figure out why that link wouldn't work when I clicked on it using IE (6.0). I thought it was odd as I've launched other Java Web Start applications with IE before (from here) and I've never had a problem. So, I made a new jnlp file (really, I just renamed the old one from jnlpTest.jnlp to jnlpTest2.jnlp) and I added a link to that file on the same page. Clicking on that link works fine. I have no idea what the problem is. Every jnlp link I can find works fine except that first one. Any ideas? Otherwise, I'll tally that one up to a fluke. Thanks for the reply, Corey
Joined: Sep 28, 2000
it seems that it can depend on the internet settings (proxy, browser, whatever) of JavaWebStart or the setting of JAVAWS_HOME, whether the browser actually launches JWS. what I am experiencing at the moment: I installed jdk 1.4.2, and with it comes the new JWS that installs itself. well, now the browser still recognizes the mime type and asks whether to launch JWS (same as before), but JWS doesn't come up. there is no error, no exception. I cannot find any hints on the web. I reinstalled the old JWS, reinstalled mozilla twice (wich didn't help of course as I did not remove the .mozilla directory), installed a new tomcat - without success. starting the jnlp file directly with JWS after downloading works. BUT: I just retried, and now it works. so obviously it had to do with the environment variables, as the only difference to yesterday is, that I did log out and log in again and JAVAWS_HOME is now set properly even for mozilla. (So in this case reinstalling mozilla should have helped but I got some other errors as well (which were actually the reason why I returned to the old JWS)). cheers, Chantal