wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Thread Class Method Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Thread Class Method" Watch "Thread Class Method" New topic
Author

Thread Class Method

payal bansal
Greenhorn

Hi all!
Is this a correct statement??? Object's lock acquired by a thread can be released by wait() and yield() method(). and sleep() can not release the lock.
Dave Vick
Ranch Hand

Payal
that is correct a thread that has a lock on an object that calls wait or yield will release the lock. wait can only be called from within synchronized code. keep in mind that a thread that calls yield may start running again right away if the scheduler doesn't find any threads it would rather run.
A thread that calls sleep will not give up the lock.
hope that helps
Dave

Dave
William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Rancher

Only wait has a mechanism to release the lock on an object. The yield and sleep methods do not, and neither do the (deprecated)suspend and resume methods.
Bill

------------------
author of:

Java Resources at www.wbrogden.com
Dave Vick
Ranch Hand

Bill
I thought that yield automatically put the thread into the ready state - it doesn't release the lock when it does this? I know the API specifically says sleep doesn't release the lock, yield doesn't say it doesn't lose it so I assumed it lost it. Is that what I get for assuming?

Thanks
Dave
Muhammad Farooq
Ranch Hand

Does it mean that yield will not release the lock and those waiting for that lock will never get the lock and will not run then how come the yielded method will get its turn to run.
--Farooq

Muhammad Farooq<br />Sun Certified Programmer for Java 2 Platform<br />Oracle8i Certified Professional Database Administrator
payal bansal
Greenhorn

Do tell me the one right ans as i am appearing for SCJP on 31 july. Thanks all!
Desai Sandeep
Ranch Hand

I am with Bill.Only the wait() method can release the lock for an object.
Yield() is used to pass the control to the ThreadScheduler, which decides what to do with the thread.However, there is no monitor to release the lock of an object, when you call the Thread.yield() method.
The Object is locked only by using the synchronized keyword and wait and notify mechanisms.
Hope this helps,
Sandeep
SCJP2,OCSD(Oracle JDeveloper), OCED(Oracle Internet Platform)

<b>Sandeep</b> <br /> <br /><b>Sun Certified Programmer for Java 2 Platform</b><br /> <br /><b>Oracle Certified Solution Developer - JDeveloper</b><br /><b>-- Oracle JDeveloper Rel. 3.0 - Develop Database Applications with Java </b><br /><b>-- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with UML</b><br /> <br /><b>Oracle Certified Enterprise Developer - Oracle Internet Platform</b><br /><b>-- Enterprise Connectivity with J2EE </b><br /><b>-- Enterprise Development on the Oracle Internet Platform </b>
William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Rancher

"Does it mean that yield will not release the lock and those waiting for that lock will never get the lock and will not run then how come the yielded method will get its turn to run."
When the yield returns, the Thread having the lock continues.
Bill
Vedhas Pitkar
Ranch Hand

Yes only the wait() and yield() meths can release an object's lock coz these meths r used for interthread communicatin and so for other threads to access the object the current thread must give up the lock.As for sleep(),since it may modify the object's state after it exits out of sleep() it must hold the object's lock.Hope u uderstand .
All the best for the exam!
Let me know afterwards ur score and the type of questions asked.
my mailid is vedhas_pitkar@yahoo.com
payal bansal
Greenhorn

So, which option should I opt?? more comments needed.
Desai Sandeep
Ranch Hand

Hi,
Thread.yield() will not release the lock the thread holds, only wait() can!
Payal, you need to go with Bill.Do you have any other option!
-- Sandeep
SCJP2, OCSD(Oracle JDeveloper), OCED(Oracle Internet Platform)

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread Class Method