I get noting in the logs when I shift-reload the web page, even after restarting Tomcat. Interesting, in preparing this post I killed the logs and restarted Tomcat and I get a clean startup in catalina.err but in catalina.out I find this apparent startup problem:
... [Loaded javax.faces.event.PhaseListener from file:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/PaperTrade/WEB-INF/lib/jsf-api.jar] [Loaded javax.faces.event.PhaseEvent from file:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/PaperTrade/WEB-INF/lib/jsf-api.jar] [Loaded javax.faces.convert.EnumConverter from file:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/PaperTrade/WEB-INF/lib/jsf-api.jar] [Loaded javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory from file:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/PaperTrade/WEB-INF/lib/jsp-api.jar] [Loaded com.sun.el.ExpressionFactoryImpl from file:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/PaperTrade/WEB-INF/lib/el-ri.jar] [Loaded com.sun.el.ValueExpressionLiteral from file:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/PaperTrade/WEB-INF/lib/el-ri.jar] Nov 12, 2006 9:53:40 PM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener registerELResolverAndListenerWithJsp SEVERE: Error Instantiating ExpressionFactory java.lang.NullPointerException at com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener.registerELResolverAndListenerWithJsp(ConfigureListener.java:1876) at com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener.contextInitialized(ConfigureListener.java:565) at com.sun.faces.config.GlassFishConfigureListener.contextInitialized(GlassFishConfigureListener.java:46) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3669) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4104) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:788) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:677) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:473) ...
Alright, I've beat my head against the wall enough tonight, time to break down and beg for help. Thanks! [ November 13, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Hill ]
Most likely you have a version conflict between different component jars.
I do know that EL has some major warts, since just last week I was fighting a situation where the EL Exception class couldn't be located. I wish I could remember the details, but basically, there was something like an EL definition in Tomcat's jsp-api.jar, but a different EL definition in Tomahawk . Or something like that. Apache commons-el was also involved in the fight, IIRC.
I think the problem is ultimately rooted in the transition between different EL versions and the whole movement towards unified EL. Maybe a little googling will help you.
Customer surveys are for companies who didn't pay proper attention to begin with.
Lars, actually that was MyFaces (who can remember all these different faces), but I experimented with removing the JSP jar and then found that the 2.0 jar was deployed with the facelets-1.1.9 jars. Then I figured what the heck, and uploaded one of their sample jars. Runs great.