aspose file tools*
The moose likes Web Services and the fly likes SOA and RMI Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Soft Skills this week in the Jobs Discussion forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Web Services
Bookmark "SOA and RMI" Watch "SOA and RMI" New topic
Author

SOA and RMI

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

The article below mentions that SOA could be implementsed using Java RMI.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/01/26/soa-intro.html

I was under the impression that the service i/f should be such that a client in programming language should be able to consume it. If Java RMI is a SOA impl then the clients have to be in Java, right? I am
or since java RMI exposes an i/f loose coupling is achieved so RMI is a SOA.

CORBA does allow clients to be written in different technologies.What about Jini?


Groovy
JeanLouis Marechaux
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 12, 2001
Posts: 906
Hi Pradeep,

My understanding is that SOA must involved services, and that a Service is a component resource which has an externalized service description

Web services have WSD and CORBA has IDL. And I believe JINI also has an external description (but I'm not sure)

As far as RMI is concerned, I don't see what can be considered as the external service description


/ JeanLouis<br /><i>"software development has been, is, and will remain fundamentally hard" (Grady Booch)</i><br /> <br />Take a look at <a href="http://www.epfwiki.net/wikis/openup/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Agile OpenUP</a> in the Eclipse community
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by JeanLouis Marechaux:
Hi Pradeep,

My understanding is that SOA must involved services, and that a Service is a component resource which has an externalized service description

Web services have WSD and CORBA has IDL. And I believe JINI also has an external description (but I'm not sure)

As far as RMI is concerned, I don't see what can be considered as the external service description


Thanks.
Lasse Koskela
author
Sheriff

Joined: Jan 23, 2002
Posts: 11962
    
    5
I'm not sure about the "official" definition for a service-oriented architecture, but in my opinion the externalized description and language independence are not requirements for being called a SOA. For example, a system built on top of Jini services (using RMI as the transport, for example) is just as much a SOA as would be the same system built on top of Web Services (using HTTP/SOAP as the transport).


Author of Test Driven (2007) and Effective Unit Testing (2013) [Blog] [HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch]
JeanLouis Marechaux
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 12, 2001
Posts: 906
Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
I'm not sure about the "official" definition for a service-oriented architecture, but in my opinion the externalized description and language independence are not requirements for being called a SOA. For example, a system built on top of Jini services (using RMI as the transport, for example) is just as much a SOA as would be the same system built on top of Web Services (using HTTP/SOAP as the transport).



I'm not sure about the *official* definition eather.
I'm wondering were we could find a definition from a SOA authority....
DOES SOA belong to some authority ???
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by JeanLouis Marechaux:



I'm not sure about the *official* definition eather.
I'm wondering were we could find a definition from a SOA authority....
DOES SOA belong to some authority ???


I dont think there is any authority which defines SOA. A few vendors have joined together and coined a new term to make money. The reason I feel that is because it does do or tell anything new. All I articles I have read states that CORBA , WebServices etc are the implementation of SOA. The vendors are promoting "SOA" in a big way and suggest using "SOA" based architecture.
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: SOA and RMI