File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
Win a copy of Clojure in Action this week in the Clojure forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

using j2me in a GPS enabled device inorder to send the given location by sms

 
Yashar Kalantari
Greenhorn
Posts: 12
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone

I am completely new in wireless an I need to develop an application on a GPS enabled device in order to send the given location by SMS. first is j2me the right choice to do this is and if it is where should I start.

thanks alot
 
Shawn Fitzgerald
author
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To achieve your goal of transmitting GIS (location) information from a phone to a server (I'm assuming) J2ME is a reasonable if not a very good choice.
But it does depend on what context you are sending this information, if it is with the users permission then J2ME is a good fit. If you are trying to build a BigBrother device to spy on people then J2ME is not the right choice, as it was built with several goals, 1 of which is secure. And by security it was seen both in protecting the device, and the user.

Now you have another issue. Is SMS the right choice. The most popular GIS enabled devices with J2ME support for this data are the NexTel devices. However these devices do not currently support SMS (that is the API is in the WMA support, and these devices have WMA, but NexTel doesn't use SMS).
I know you are thinking I'm wrong, nextel states they have SMS. Well it's more of a proprietary alert protocol. Trust me it ain't there.
However you can send out HTTP/S, or sockets from the NexTel device provided you have a datapacket plan.

Now if you are not working with NexTel but ATT/Cingular, T-Mobile, or (heaven help you) Verizon, then you most likely have SMS, but most of these secure the location API. While Motorola/Nokia devices sometimes have location API's the service provider can shut you down by turning that API off.


If you are past those 2 hurdles, then you should be able to use the SMS examples (WMA demo) from the WirelessToolKit WTK from Sun, and the location API samples that most vendors have with their documentation.

If you are trying to send SMS from a server to a phone to trigger this information I would recommend reading my book "SMS for MIDP2.0" at Cafepress.com, because there is a lot of information and issues you will be running into that are not well documented. This book will guide you through those issues, and provide some useful code.

Let us know what devices and service providers you are using. I'm interested is how your project progresses.

Best wishes
-Shawn
 
William Frantz
Ranch Hand
Posts: 102
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Yashar Kalantari:
I am completely new in wireless an I need to develop an application on a GPS enabled device in order to send the given location by SMS. first is j2me the right choice to do this is and if it is where should I start.
You probably can't do what you are trying to do. Most devices are not capable. Most carriers are not cooperative. I have gone through the pain Shawn Fitzgerald described to create a location tracking application for a Nextel Motorola i730. It works but there are all kinds of caveats.

That said, I don't really know what you are trying to accomplish so give us some more details and I'll try to find a workable solution before I definitively tell you that you can't do what you are trying to do.
 
Luciano Graffi
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I work on similar project, and reading the embedded GPS of an i730 (on a simulator) works fine. This simulator have something like a message console, where you can simulate an SMS in or out. Thats no true???

I am worry about Shawn comment: "I know you are thinking I'm wrong, nextel states they have SMS. Well it's more of a proprietary alert protocol. Trust me it ain't there."

By the other way, William says: "It works but there are all kinds of caveats.", what do you mean? what's caveat??

Thanks a lot.
 
Luca Luchi
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Luciano Graffi:
[QB]Hi,

I work on similar project, and reading the embedded GPS of an i730 (on a simulator) works fine. This simulator have something like a message console, where you can simulate an SMS in or out. Thats no true???

Looks like your emulator contains the location API. Where did you download it from?
 
Luca Luchi
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I found an opensource java API for GPS localization.

http://www.chaeron.com/gps.html

But I don't know how to use it into my midlets!

Any help?
 
Ryan Bailey
Ranch Hand
Posts: 134
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Shawn,

You are the man! You are talking about exactly what I'm trying to do on my Treo 650. Do you if they Location API will work on my phone? I believe there is a chipset for receiving coordinates, but I'm not sure if Sprint has that enabled for what I'm trying to do. I have an unlimited data plan and have accomplished my goal with using a laptop, bluetooth gps receiver and my treo phone. Would be very nice to just have my phone. I did this by reverse engineering my bluetooth gps device, massage and convert the data, and then send it out thru my phone and to my personal webserver.

I'm also confused. Can I use the Java Wireless API to develop my programs and then use a jadtoprc tool to convert my files to be exported to my phone? So far I've had zero success in doing this. Wasn't sure if there is a compatibilty issue. I was using WebSphere Everywhere Micro Environment which sux since there is hardly any documentation. Go figure...IBM.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to email me at rrbcap@yahoo.com if you can shed any insight.
Regards,
Ryan

Originally posted by Shawn Fitzgerald:
To achieve your goal of transmitting GIS (location) information from a phone to a server (I'm assuming) J2ME is a reasonable if not a very good choice.
But it does depend on what context you are sending this information, if it is with the users permission then J2ME is a good fit. If you are trying to build a BigBrother device to spy on people then J2ME is not the right choice, as it was built with several goals, 1 of which is secure. And by security it was seen both in protecting the device, and the user.

Now you have another issue. Is SMS the right choice. The most popular GIS enabled devices with J2ME support for this data are the NexTel devices. However these devices do not currently support SMS (that is the API is in the WMA support, and these devices have WMA, but NexTel doesn't use SMS).
I know you are thinking I'm wrong, nextel states they have SMS. Well it's more of a proprietary alert protocol. Trust me it ain't there.
However you can send out HTTP/S, or sockets from the NexTel device provided you have a datapacket plan.

Now if you are not working with NexTel but ATT/Cingular, T-Mobile, or (heaven help you) Verizon, then you most likely have SMS, but most of these secure the location API. While Motorola/Nokia devices sometimes have location API's the service provider can shut you down by turning that API off.


If you are past those 2 hurdles, then you should be able to use the SMS examples (WMA demo) from the WirelessToolKit WTK from Sun, and the location API samples that most vendors have with their documentation.

If you are trying to send SMS from a server to a phone to trigger this information I would recommend reading my book "SMS for MIDP2.0" at Cafepress.com, because there is a lot of information and issues you will be running into that are not well documented. This book will guide you through those issues, and provide some useful code.

Let us know what devices and service providers you are using. I'm interested is how your project progresses.

Best wishes
-Shawn
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic