aspose file tools*
The moose likes Threads and Synchronization and the fly likes Thread with synchronized run() method and sleep() Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Threads and Synchronization
Bookmark "Thread with synchronized run() method and sleep()" Watch "Thread with synchronized run() method and sleep()" New topic
Author

Thread with synchronized run() method and sleep()

Thomas Markl
Ranch Hand

The following SyncRun source code demonstrates what happens when you synchronize the run() method.
If you run this program, you will notice that either thread A or thread B runs to completion before the other thread. That is due to the running thread holding the lock until it exits run(). As a result, the other thread delays its execution of that method.
My question is:
As there is no switching between the two Threads „A“ and „B“ because of synchronized run() method –
Do I need the Thread.sleep() in the first place? I mean as synchronized doesn’t allow switching between
Threads the sleep() method which stops one Thread to switch to the competing Thread is not neccessary.
I tried it without sleep() and had – excpectedly – the same result, but the program ran much faster as
The current Thread was not stopped by the sleep() method.

=> What do you think? DO I NEED the SLEEP() method here or is it without effect here?

C:\Java\EigeneJavaProgramme>java SyncRun
A
A
A
A
A
A
B
B
B
B
B
B
Igor Ko
Ranch Hand

It works good - time schedule working.
If you wish to switch the threads, you may try to:
------------------------------------------------
Thread.yield()
public static void yield()
Causes the currently executing thread object to temporarily pause and allow other threads to execute.
------------------------------------------------
Or use some kind of semaphore. There should be
a lot of Java semaphores implementation here.
Peter Chase
Ranch Hand

Methods like sleep() and yield() do not release the lock on the monitor. Only wait() does that.
If your implementation of run() is a synchronised method and never does wait() then, once one thread is executing run(), any thread trying to execute run() on the same object would block.
If run() were not a synchronised method, then methods like sleep() and yield() can suggest to the scheduler that another thread might get the CPU.

Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma.
Mr. C Lamont Gilbert
Ranch Hand

Running two threads with the same object is a mistake. You should have created an object per thread. If you insist on doing it, head Mr.Chase's remarks.

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: CL Gilbert ]
Michael Bronshteyn
Ranch Hand

You can run different threads with the same object. Look at servlet container model, which uses one instances of servlet object for multiple requests utilizing different threads.
About synchronized run method. There is nothing wrong with that either. You need to use wait/notify to check if resource is available. Normally you would have a loop within run and have some other resource to check. If resource is not available you call wait and let other thread enter run. You should have another method, which makes resource available, and calls notify to wake up thread.

Michael
SCJP2

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread with synchronized run() method and sleep()