File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
The moose likes Threads and Synchronization and the fly likes Thread Performance Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Threads and Synchronization
Bookmark "Thread Performance" Watch "Thread Performance" New topic

Thread Performance

Karthik Gupta

I am new to thread. I would like to know which one is better extending from Thread class or Implement Runnable interface in term of performance and why

Steven Bell
Ranch Hand

I'm not sure it would really make a difference. Probably would have to code both up and run a profiler to be sure. From a design standpoint it is generally more acceptable to implement Runnable as you are not creating new types of Thread's, but rather building business logic that you want to run in a seperate Thread.
David Harkness
Ranch Hand

The only performance difference is that implementing Runnable with a separate class results in an extra class instantiation and a single method call. Both are trivial compared to anything that method might be doing and should cause no concern.

Design-wise, extend Thread only when you need to override the behavior of the Thread. If you just want a Thread to run some code, implement Runnable and pass it to a Thread. This gives you more options, for example using a thread pool and rerunning your Runnable multiple times.
I agree. Here's the link:
subject: Thread Performance
It's not a secret anymore!