File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Thread question-no run() method signature Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Thread question-no run() method signature" Watch "Thread question-no run() method signature" New topic
Author

Thread question-no run() method signature

Rob Kiu
Greenhorn

Hi everyone,
Code below compiled, executes and prints out nothing. My question is why b.run(); is OK when it was not overridden and class Bground does not implements Runnable. Thought it'll give compile error eg: if we call a method say b.test(); but did not define the method signature in the class eg void test(){};
Appreciate any help, thanks !!
Rob
From Marcus Green Mock : Question Bank Id:106, code added:b.test(); & comments
Bijesh Krishnadas
Ranch Hand

run() is a non-abstract method in Thread. Which is why u dont need to override the method in your class
Bijesh
Sindhur Sat
Greenhorn

Reason:
Thread is a non abstract class that implements Runnable and run() is a public abstract method in Runnable; so guess what, Thread is forced to implement run() method; if you want you can override it in your extended class;In that case your run() method would have been executed in a new thread instead of the blank run() method of the Thread class.
Sindhur
Rob Kiu
Greenhorn

Dear Bijesh, Sindhu,
Thanks for clearing that up. Look up the API to confirm, yes indeed Thread has a public void run method, whereas I thought only Runnable has the run method, so the code I quoted works!
From 1.4.2 API
run
public void run()
If this thread was constructed using a separate Runnable run object, then that Runnable object's run method is called; otherwise, this method does nothing and returns.
Subclasses of Thread should override this method.

Cheers,
Rob

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.

subject: Thread question-no run() method signature