wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Thread topics not covered in K&B book Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Thread topics not covered in K&B book" Watch "Thread topics not covered in K&B book" New topic
Author

Thread topics not covered in K&B book

B Hayes
Ranch Hand

I am studying K&B's book as my main SCJP source, and I just bought the latest Sun mock exams.
Unfortunately, in almost all the Thread objectives there are questions that reference the .setDaemon() method.
Just thought I'd point this out before someone flunks up to 8 questions...
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

R, et. al.
Don't Panic!!
There are several places in the exam that can be misleading. For instance, while the exam doesn't cover I/O anymore there might be a couple of questions that contain I/O classes - in ways that don't require you understand those classes to answer the question. In a similar way, you might encounter a question or two on the exam that references a daemon thread - you won't have to understand daemon threads to answer the question...
Unfortunately some of the people that worked on Sun's ePractice exam didn't work on the real exam, so I wouldn't be surprised if the setDaemon method showed up a lot on the ePractice.
We promise we wouldn't leave you high and dry
Good luck in your studies, and don't worry, in this case the ePractice exam is probably very misleading.
Bert

Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
B Hayes
Ranch Hand

Thanks Bert.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread topics not covered in K&B book