Win a copy of Think Java: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist this week in the Java in General forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

are we scrapping book promotions

 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I like the authors participating to help us understand the new technologies.

But, we may have to mention that publishing houses may not mail the books in some times(examples: I won 2 books last year and never received any).
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is this a statement, question, or other?
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8927
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I havent recd 2 books too. I recd email from Dirk today that he will ping the Publishers. I think publishers must be honest and send us the books.

Book promotion is a great thing in JR. We get a chance to ask authors about new technologies and other queires. Please continue it.Thanks
[ January 12, 2005: Message edited by: Pradeep Bhat ]
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by David O'Meara:
Is this a statement, question, or other?


Question and also a statement.
 
Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
Posts: 7023
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I believe that in most cases, winners of books do receive them. If a book has not been received after a reasonable amount of time, please send me an email and let me know. I will follow up with the publisher.


Kishore, on our past winners page from last year, I notice that you won a copy of "Professional Jakarta Struts" and "Eclipse: Building Commercial-Quality Plug-ins". Is this correct?

I just sent both publishers requests to learn whether the books have been sent to you.

Please send me an email (to dirk AT javaranch DOT com) indicating your preferred email address, snail mail address and phone number. I'll let you know what I learn from the publishers.
[ January 12, 2005: Message edited by: Dirk Schreckmann ]
 
Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand
Posts: 13974
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think there is a way to ask nicely (the JavaRanch way) and there is a way to ask rudely. The publishers make every effort to send books but often, especially with overseas orders, they rely on international shippers that are sometimes less than reliable. If you do not receive a book, then a nice email to Dirk asking him to look into it should be more than sufficient. I found, in the year or so that I was doing the book promotions, that shipping to India is a nightmare. I think Pradeep will back me up that I had more trouble getting books to him than I did to anyone else. If you are in the US, then it takes 2 to 4 weeks. India takes 2 weeks to 4 years.
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8927
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think Pradeep will back me up that I had more trouble getting books to him than I did to anyone else.


Right. Thanks for all you efforts that I finally got the book.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
I think there is a way to ask nicely (the JavaRanch way) and there is a way to ask rudely. The publishers make every effort to send books but often, especially with overseas orders, they rely on international shippers that are sometimes less than reliable. If you do not receive a book, then a nice email to Dirk asking him to look into it should be more than sufficient. I found, in the year or so that I was doing the book promotions, that shipping to India is a nightmare. I think Pradeep will back me up that I had more trouble getting books to him than I did to anyone else. If you are in the US, then it takes 2 to 4 weeks. India takes 2 weeks to 4 years.


Tom,

I am not sure how my post can be perceived as rude(sure not everybody can put things as articulate as you, that is why you have top 1000 review status).

I made different a post(repeatedly updated it in this 'JavaRanch' forum) regarding the delay in the last two wins. Its been 8 months for one book and about 4 months for the other.

If it happens more than once, it does feel to be something going out of sync.

BTW in my case there is no question of overseas shipment problems since I live in Dallas area, Great Texas.
[ January 12, 2005: Message edited by: Kishore Dandu ]
 
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff
Posts: 14112
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
I am not sure how my post can be perceived as rude


Well, first it could be seen as rude to imply that just because you didn't receive your books, the publishers actually didn't send them - it could well be that they did, and something else got wrong.

Additionally, your post can easily be interpreted to mean that they *intentionally* didn't send the book, or at least didn't care enough. It might be seen as more friendly to first imply that not sending the books (if that is what has happened) was an unfortunate mistake.

Now it might well be that you didn't mean your post in that way. Communication is hard, especially written communication where many communication channels simply are missing (body language, tone of voice etc.) and left much room for the phantasy of the reader. Therefore it's often better to be as specific about one's intentions and feelings as possible when writing in a forum, simply to prevent misunderstandings.

(sure not everybody can put things as articulate as you, that is why you have top 1000 review status).


I like to think that he wasn't born that way, that in fact he probably made some of the same mistakes we lesser beings make, and simply learned from the feedback he got. That gives me the option to at least try to do something similar...
 
Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand
Posts: 13974
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think also the title of this thread could have been more clearly thought out. Perhaps something like, "Can you help me get the books I won?" may have been nicer.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Ilja Preuss:


I like to think that he wasn't born that way, that in fact he probably made some of the same mistakes we lesser beings make, and simply learned from the feedback he got. That gives me the option to at least try to do something similar...


God. I can never write that much in a post without technical content.

You certainly deserve a coke or pepsi what ever the choice may be
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
I think also the title of this thread could have been more clearly thought out. Perhaps something like, "Can you help me get the books I won?" may have been nicer.


You are correct. That would have been appropriate.

But, when I was doing nicer posts, it was difficult get the necessary attention. That is why I had to go this route.

If I had ruffled any one'e personal or religious feelings, my apologies.
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yep, I was ruffled. I'll get over it.

We need a thread where people who receive their books can post appreciation to Dirk, methinks.
 
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff
Posts: 14112
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
God. I can never write that much in a post without technical content.


The goal is not be as good as someone else just now. It's to do our best now, and to try to bend the limits of what our best is over time.


You certainly deserve a coke or pepsi what ever the choice may be


I'd prefer a cup of green tea, actually.
 
Stan James
(instanceof Sidekick)
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8791
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey, I came into this forum to post a thanks for two books I just received. It was so cool to receive 800 pages of fun stuff just as the giant storm is moving into the chilly NE. Another reason to love the ranch.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Stan James:
Hey, I came into this forum to post a thanks for two books I just received. It was so cool to receive 800 pages of fun stuff just as the giant storm is moving into the chilly NE. Another reason to love the ranch.


I would consider you as one of those lucky folks.
 
Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Sheriff
Posts: 4727
Mac Ruby VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I, for one, appreciate Dirk.

Thank you, sir!
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Marc Peabody:
I, for one, appreciate Dirk.

Thank you, sir!


I appreciate Dirk too.

But that is not the point of the thread. The point is that some of the publishers don't stick to their promises.
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8927
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have recd Junit Pocket guide but I havent received Brighter, Faster and Lighter Java book yet.
 
Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1902
Hibernate Netbeans IDE PHP
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
By and large, I've never had a problem with delays in receiving anything I've won on the book promotions. That might just be my experience, though - I think most of the authors and publishing houses are very prompt and professional about taking care of things, or have been very responsive when made aware that something slipped through the cracks.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Theodore Casser:
By and large, I've never had a problem with delays in receiving anything I've won on the book promotions. That might just be my experience, though - I think most of the authors and publishing houses are very prompt and professional about taking care of things, or have been very responsive when made aware that something slipped through the cracks.


May be mine is a exception, let us hope so.

Dirk did take my details again, about a month ago. I hope the publishers are proactive to send these books.

The books in question never got to any of the winners. So that is the basic reason for my observation.
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8927
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:
I have recd Junit Pocket guide but I havent received Brighter, Faster and Lighter Java book yet.


I have received the book today. Thanks Dirk and JR.
 
David Harkness
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1646
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
I live in Dallas area, Great Texas.
I hear that's worse for shipping than India!

In any case, my thanks go out to Dirk and crew as I've received the three books I've won over the past two years.

Pradeep, BFL was a bit delayed for me too, so hopefully you'll get yours before Worser*, Slower, Heavier Java is released.

* I know, but "worse" just doesn't work as well in the title.
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8927
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pradeep, BFL was a bit delayed for me too, so hopefully you'll get yours before Worser*, Slower, Heavier Java is released.

* I know, but "worse" just doesn't work as well in the title.

 
Raghav Sam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 412
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
India takes 2 weeks to 4 years.

Then I guess I can wait for four more months. [ I won Wireless Java Programming with J2ME in June 5, 2001. link ]. I guess Carl Trusiak was handling this and he took all efforts to get the book shipped. Unfortunately, I didnt get the book. Because you know, winning is one thing and that too from a prestigious site as JR, it is so special. I think I even have the mail from Carl asking for mailing details!
[ February 18, 2005: Message edited by: Raghav Sam ]
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8927
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Raghav Sam:

Then I guess I can wait for four more months. [ I won Wireless Java Programming with J2ME in June 5, 2001. link ]. I guess Carl Trusiak was handling this and he took all efforts to get the book shipped. Unfortunately, I didnt get the book. Because you know, winning is one thing and that too from a prestigious site as JR, it is so special. I think I even have the mail from Carl asking for mailing details!

[ February 18, 2005: Message edited by: Raghav Sam ]


Will the book be useful? May be it contains outdated stuff.
:roll:
 
Raghav Sam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 412
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:

Will the book be useful? May be it contains outdated stuff.


Yep. That's right. :roll:
 
David Harkness
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1646
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Raghav Sam:
I won Wireless Java Programming with J2ME in June 5, 2001.

Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:
Will the book be useful? May be it contains outdated stuff.
:roll:
Visit the Sockets and Internet Protocols forum in April. The Ranch is giving away four copies of Secure Subspace Sockets for Java!
 
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1400
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by David Harkness:
I hear that's worse for shipping than India!


Probably you are right, I am too from the same region (Texas) and haven't received the Core JSF I won in Mid-December'04.

But considering the patience shown by other ranchers (some waiting upto 4 yrs), I have decided to wait too
[ February 18, 2005: Message edited by: K Varun ]
 
Mary Wallace
Ranch Hand
Posts: 138
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I won two books one on October 5th(Java testing and design) and another on Nov 2nd. I havent received both.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Mary Wallace:
I won two books one on October 5th(Java testing and design) and another on Nov 2nd. I havent received both.


November is too young to be complaining about it. You may have to wait couple more months before sending another friendly request. After a while if there are no replies to your friendly request, you may have to make a sarcastic post to get some attention.
 
Mary Wallace
Ranch Hand
Posts: 138
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Still waiting for those two books!!!
 
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3178
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Still waiting for JavaServer Faces in Action as well since August 2004 and it has been about seven months already...

A friendly request has been sent for a couple of times... But it seems like the problem is with the publisher itself... No one knows whether they actually sent it or the book was lost in space...
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Ko Ko Naing:
Still waiting for JavaServer Faces in Action as well since August 2004 and it has been about seven months already...

A friendly request has been sent for a couple of times... But it seems like the problem is with the publisher itself... No one knows whether they actually sent it or the book was lost in space...


welcome to the club Ko Ko
 
Anonymous
Ranch Hand
Posts: 18944
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mr. Dandu

Did you get the books or not?
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by <suppandi>:
Mr. Dandu

Did you get the books or not?


Never got 'em.
 
Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
Posts: 7023
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kishore,

I just posted a note in another thread concerning the two books that you've not yet received.

Mary Wallace,

If I recall correctly, the publishers have both confirmed sending you the books you've not received. I'll ask them nicely if they could send you copies, again.

For what it's worth, I'm in the same country and state as one publisher, and two books they've sent me over the past six months have yet to arrive. Plus, another publisher on the other side of the country sent me a book a long time ago that has yet to arrive. Once, I personally sent a book to another JavaRanch moderator (in Europe), paid for out of my own pocket, and it never arrived. On top of that, the rather expensive box of gifts I ordered from Amazon the week before Christmas last year never arrived.

I understand that it can be frustrating getting packages through the mail system, at times.

For anybody, if you've won a book through a JavaRanch book promotion, but have not yet received the book, keep letting me know, and I'll keep asking the publisher to get a book to you. I don't mind asking repeatedly. I just get disappointed when the books don't arrive.
[ March 31, 2005: Message edited by: Dirk Schreckmann ]
 
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1400
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Dirk Schreckmann:

For anybody, if you've won a book through a JavaRanch book promotion, but have not yet received the book, keep letting me know, and I'll keep asking the publisher to get a book to you.


I have one pending since December 14th 2004 [Book promotion of Core Java Server Faces]

My Location : Texas


Thanks,
[ March 31, 2005: Message edited by: Varun Khanna ]
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Dirk Schreckmann:
Kishore,

I just posted a note in another thread concerning the two books that you've not yet received.

Mary Wallace,

If I recall correctly, the publishers have both confirmed sending you the books you've not received. I'll ask them nicely if they could send you copies, again.

For what it's worth, I'm in the same country and state as one publisher, and two books they've sent me over the past six months have yet to arrive. Plus, another publisher on the other side of the country sent me a book a long time ago that has yet to arrive. Once, I personally sent a book to another JavaRanch moderator (in Europe), paid for out of my own pocket, and it never arrived. On top of that, the rather expensive box of gifts I ordered from Amazon the week before Christmas last year never arrived.

I understand that it can be frustrating getting packages through the mail system, at times.

For anybody, if you've won a book through a JavaRanch book promotion, but have not yet received the book, keep letting me know, and I'll keep asking the publisher to get a book to you. I don't mind asking repeatedly. I just get disappointed when the books don't arrive.

[ March 31, 2005: Message edited by: Dirk Schreckmann ]


Thanks for your help Dirk.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic