finally i did it. i am a SCJP 1.4 now. i scored 95%. got 58 questions correct out of 61. there is lots of to write. but i wont. i would just like to say-
1) work SINCERELY towards ur goal.
2) STICK 2EXAM OBJECTIVES STICK TO EXAM OBJECTIVES STICK TO XAM OBJECTIVES if u dont agree with me read this
ingnore questions on - static iniliatisers, questions that ask which methods are in which collection class....interfaces inside classes comlpex hashcode implementations.
identifying what is expected by the exam is also a part of the preparation process. do not waste time n energy in unnecessary stuff
3) Give 1 mock daily once u finish reading K&B book 2 times. this will help u pratice "retaining ur patience while going through 61 questions"
fr the mocks- i used ( i ignored questions that deviated from the objectives)
Voodoo exams, (contain really tricky questions, GUI is nice, errors are less)
Whizlabs all all all tests,
Enthuware (did 10 out of 11...struggled a lot in each test...never scored more than 75% in any of the tests)
K&B two mock tests- gave it 2 days before the exam. got 90% in first and 100 in 2nd. tho the questions are exactly similar to tose in the chapter tests, the ADVANTAGE in taking these test is that U GET RELAXED and the exams are a good wat\y to see WHAT EFFORTS THE EXAM SETTERS TAKE TO CONFUSE U.
i also solved khalid mughal questuions (DO NOT READ THEORY), the questions on threads are really similar to those that i got in exam.
DO NOT SOLVE "dan chisholm" its really ralyy tough
4) strike a balance between 'concepts' and 'cramming'. both are needed coz when it comes to answring 1 question/2 min, somthings must be mugged up ( e.g.- hashCode contract table on K&B page 418, methods of Math class, etc etc)
5) visit javaranch daily. u know what....question 2. in my exam was exactly similar to what was posted on java rannch in the month of december. i tried to search the previous thrads but couldn get the code. anyway here it is
6)have a 'test taking plan' and implement it for every test u give....even the K&B test. my test taking plan was like this
1st go tru the questions ->> 27 min (cherry pick easy questions,read each question briefly.noting the type, mark the aswere\s but MARK the question if u r not confident.
2nd go thru the test ->> 56 min now answer each questrion properly.SKIP TIME CONSUMING QUESTIONS like loops,questions on threads,
3rd go thru the test ->> attempt all the time consumin ones. and those that r remaininig
4th,5th go -->> abt 8 m inutes u will be definitly having 20 min left by now, use this time to review the answers u marked. u will se surprised to know that i changed answer to 2 questrions in last few minutes and got them right.
this test taking strategy is exactly similar to waht K&B have told in their book in the introdyctory pages.FOLLOW IT STRICTLY.
7) make JAVA ur way of life. think of conditions in ur surrooundings and try to associate them with java concepts. for e.g-
when i used to have tea with my friends, all of us used to dive at the payment counter to pay for all...i associated it with this - multiple threads (friends) trynig to acces a common object (paymnet counter)
8) ON THE DAY OF THE EXAM AND BEFORE IT --->>
make running notes....convert all exam watchs in K&B book into SHORT SCRIBBLINGs. READ ALL THAESE NOTES BEFORE U GOTO EXAM.that way u will be able to handle the new QUESTIONS with confidence
9) KEEP COOL....HAVE A GOOD SLEEP. but see to it that u get early. i got up at 3 am in the morning.
10) REACH THe EXAM CENTRE At LEAT 15m in before. GOTO TOILET BEFORE U SIT FOR EXAM. i had my URINE holded on in the last half hour
11) make a good DATABASE of the codes that u went wrong in mocks, or code that have SURPRISED U like-
ch\0061r c = 'n';
make a GOOD DATABASE of experiences of the people who passed the exam. i have read xperiences of really 50+ prople who have passed the exam. i have stored all these experience in a folder on my PC's desktop
well....i think thats going to help alot to all thos who wish to get certified.
finallly thanks a lot to K&B for their wonderful book. thanks to them for creating SUCH A WONDERFUL FORUM. i raelly love the way they have written the book. when i fininshed the book i felt SAD that the joyful journey of reading the book was over.
i was thinking to do SCJMAD. but i may also do SCJWCD, lets see
ANY! PLEASE SUGGEST ME A GOOD BEGINEERS book for topins included in WCD is Complete REfernce nice ???