I have been running a specific applet (using <OBJECT> tag) in Internet Explorer 5.5 & 6.0 for over a year now. All of the sudden, when I use IE to bring up the applet, my IE browser immediately exits. IE appears to exit when it is trying to bring up the Java Console and initialize the Java Plugin (BTW...I am using Plugin 1.4.2_08-b3).
The applet comes up in Netscape 7.x and Mozilla fine.
While troubleshooting this problem, I discovered that if I go into the Java Plugin and remove my memory settings (-Xms128m -Xmx512m), the applet will come up just fine in IE.
Other than the normal windows updates, nothing else should have changed in my computer's configuration. I have been running the same plugin for quite a while now.
Any incite into what may be going on is greatly appreciated.
What you are saying is correct, this problem appears simply when setting the max heap size to be used in jvm to be large (in your case, 512 MB ..which is large enough)...The problem seems to be due to the fact that IE is not allowed to obtain this much contiguous memory size, so it fails to load to get over this problem, try to make the memory requirements smaller (try 250 -Xmx250m, or even 300 MB for instance -Xmx300m) ..besides, is there a really good reason for you to use this much large memory for the applet (is it an imaging applet?) And if you are asking, this issue has nothing to do with how much memory you have on your system, you might have 2 GB and still have this issue Best, Mohammad
Joined: Nov 29, 2003
Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct that setting my max memory lower (e.g. -Xmx300m) allows the applet to come up. Do you know why this would happen all the sudden? As you guessed, I have plenty of physical memory (over 1GB free).
Another thing that I discovered was that if I open the Java Console (by going to Tools -> Sun Java Console) before clicking on the page with the applet, the applet would typically load.
Joined: Nov 17, 2005
Chris, i am glad you got this issue solved, and as i mentioned earlier, the reason behind this is that IE is not allowed to obtain this much contiguous memory size, so it fails to load...that's the whole deal, while if you try using the same memory requirements on the console for example, you can reach up to 512MB, 1GB, or even more, and that is based on your system's memory capacity Best, Mohammad
I’ve looked at a lot of different solutions, and in my humble opinion Aspose is the way to go. Here’s the link: http://aspose.com
subject: Internet Explorer exits when accessing an applet (when using memory plugin settings)