This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
It all worked fine, then recently I needed to make a few changes to the MyProjectApplet code but, when testing it out, I noticed that these changes were not being picked up in IE - IE was still using the old code. (The new code ran fine in Firefox.)
Assuming the problem was down to IE caching the old class files, I cleared the IE cache (Tools -> Options -> Delete Files) - but the problem persisted...
So, to overcome the caching, I decided to rename my class and jar - to MyProjectApplet_New.class and MyProject_New.jar, changing my html code to:
And now I get the following message when IE tries to load my applet:
java.lang.InstantiationException: myPackage/MyProjectApplet_New at com/ms/applet/BrowserAppletFrame.newInstance at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run at java/lang/Thread.run
And the strangest thing is that if I now use this html: