aspose file tools*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Thread synchronized: Kathy Sierra book question Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Thread synchronized: Kathy Sierra book question" Watch "Thread synchronized: Kathy Sierra book question" New topic
Author

Thread synchronized: Kathy Sierra book question

pranay hira
Greenhorn

Dear all,

Iam trying to understand the following question of the SCJP 5.0 book of Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates:

The answer to this question is that you can add the following implementation of the run method to make sure (kind of a guarantee) that it will produce the output XXYY or YYXX and no other combination of X and Y:

1. public void run() { synchronized(Letters.class) {write();}}
and
2. public void run() { synchronized(System.out) {write();}}

I understand the second answer but I dont understand the first answer. I thought that obtaining the lock of a class is different from obtaining a lock on an instance. And this program is using two instances of the Letter class.

Can someone please explain me why a synch on the Letters.class is also correct?

Kind regard,
Pranay

-------------<br />SCJA<br />SCJP 1.4/5.0
prashanth kumar
Ranch Hand

>> public void run() { synchronized(Letters.class) {write();}}
>>
>> new Letters("X").start();
>> new Letters("Y").start();

There is only one lock for a CLASS...So in the above code,though there are 2 object instances,they are taking a class level lock...So one instance cannot run until the other finishes...Also one more important think is that class level locks has got nothing to do with instance level locks..

Hope this helps
Prashanth

SCJP1.5(86%)<br />SCWCD1.4(95%)<br />SCBCD1.3(92%)<br />IBM 252
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

The answer to this question is that you can add the following implementation of the run method to make sure (kind of a guarantee) that it will produce the output XXYY or YYXX and no other combination of X and Y:

1. public void run() { synchronized(Letters.class) {write();}}
and
2. public void run() { synchronized(System.out) {write();}}

I understand the second answer but I dont understand the first answer. I thought that obtaining the lock of a class is different from obtaining a lock on an instance. And this program is using two instances of the Letter class.

Can someone please explain me why a synch on the Letters.class is also correct?

There is really no such thing as obtaining the "lock of a class". What the JVM does is obtain a lock on the instance of the Class object for that class.

The "Letter.class" variable is one way to get the Class object for the Letter class. And there is only one instance of a Class object per class.

Henry

Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
pranay hira
Greenhorn

Okay thanks for your explanations. I think I got confused because of the static and non static methods.

A static synch method gets the lock of an instance of the MyClass.class. A non static synch method gets the lock of the instance of the object.

Therefore stats and non stats method can't annoy each other in threads.

Kind Regards,
Pranay

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread synchronized: Kathy Sierra book question