aspose file tools*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Thread Synchronization Doubt? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Thread Synchronization Doubt?" Watch "Thread Synchronization Doubt?" New topic
Author

Thread Synchronization Doubt?

Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Hi Guys,

The following is from the K&B book. Page 720.

The explanation given as, "Notice in line 6 the code synchronizes itself with the object b- this is because in order to call wait() on the object. ThreadA must own a lock on b. For a thread to call wait() or notify(), the thread has to be the owner of the lock for that object.

So from my understanding, at line 6 which is in ThreadA, when we say synchronized(b), it means that ThreadA has locked ThreadB. Is that what I can infer?? This may sound dumb and stupid, but ranchers, please help me understand this.

Thanks in advance.

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Guys,

Anyone please help me with the above code please???
John Johnson
Ranch Hand

Yes, you are correct. When you say synchronized(b) you are locking onto the instance of ThreadB (not the class itself). So while your thread is in that synchronized block, no other thread can access synchronized methods of that b instance, however, they still can run un-synhronized methods of that class.
Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand

Jothi, did you forget something in that ThreadB class? You can't just call notify like that. You are going to get an IllegalMonitorStateException in thread B.
[ December 16, 2006: Message edited by: Barry Gaunt ]

Ask a Meaningful Question and HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch
Getting someone to think and try something out is much more useful than just telling them the answer.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Yes Barry,

I forgot the synchronized block.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.

subject: Thread Synchronization Doubt?