This week's book giveaway is in the Jobs Discussion forum.
We're giving away four copies of Java Interview Guide and have Anthony DePalma on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Need advice Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Java Interview Guide this week in the Jobs Discussion forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Need advice " Watch "Need advice " New topic

Need advice

Vanitha Sugumaran
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 356
Hi there,
I need an advice about my situation.
I have my undergradution in Physics (Auxillary- Computer Science and Math) � Indian Degree 3 year course. I have done a 2-year training course prior to my undergraduate. So including this 2 year course I have totally 17 years of study.
Here goes my problem. When I wanted to join MS computer Science in University of Missouri- Columbia, they said they won�t include the 2 year course since it is not from an university. So I have to do BS in USA then only I can enter into MS.
Then I spoke with the department and they suggested taking 18 courses, all CS courses and 2 Math and 3 general Studies. They have given total 128 credit hours to my previous BSC (physics ) course. I have completed 5 courses; still have to do 13 courses.
I am currently as a junior student. Do I have to do that much courses? I don�t have any idea about other universities. I am just confused. Have any of you gone through my situation?
I know some of the students who are dentist have joined MS just doing 2 pre-req courses.
Mark Herschberg

Joined: Dec 04, 2000
Posts: 6037
All I can say is don't trust the professors at your school, trusts admissions staff and professors at the school to which you wnat to apply. You prof's may say "I've seen other people do this," but unless it's been done for the school to which you wnat to apply, and done recently (within the last 2-3 years), assume the prof doesn't know the particular details for that school.
Vanitha Sugumaran
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 356
Thanks for your reply Mark. Actually I talked with the International Admissions people, they are the one who said I can't join MS directly. I want to know how other schools work this thing.
John Coxey
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 24, 2000
Posts: 503
Vanitha Sugumaran:
The only people you trust in a situation such as this - is the university you are trying to obtain your MS degree from. Make absolutely sure you have all of this is writing - on official college letterheads.
You need to understand that US-Colleges are businesses - and they will use any/every excuse to make you take extra classes so they can grab an extra dollar or two.
Regarding taking additional pre-requisite classes: This is perfectly normal and is to be expected. You also have two factors working against you.
1. You have a 3 yr degree - as opposed to a 4 yr USA degree.
2. You did not complete your undergraduate degree at the particular college you applied to.
Given the above situation - you will probably need to take an additional year's work of classes - hopefully, all Computer Science related classes.
Even though I had 2 undergraduate B.S. degrees here in the USA - Lehigh University made me take an additional 2 classes as part of their M.S. Computer Science program.
It's just another hurdle in the game.
Just be sure you have everything they say documented. And make sure you have/know all of the college's rules / requirements / deadlines /and pre-requisites. Remember, the longer you stay in college - they more money they get to make.
John Coxey

John Coxey
Evansville, Indiana, USA
Vanitha Sugumaran
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 356
Thanks for your reply John.
I have completed my undergratution in India, when I wanted to apply for MS in UMC they said I have to do undergraduation in US again. See this is the problem. Then I spoke with the computerscience department they said if I take 18 courses then they will give BS degree to me. So I joined in UMC as undergradute junior student.
While doing BS I can't get any scholarships (because international student), or any assistantships.
Please guide me with my situation. It is so frustrating.
Jyotsna Clarkin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 26, 2001
Posts: 158
This is standard with most US universities - the 3 year Indian B.Sc. is not considered equivalent to the 4 year US degree. The univeristy & admissions committee will have mandatory entrance requirements and this is sure to be the important one. Your 2 year training will not count.
I am aware that there are no scholarships (which are very competitive anyhow) or TAships for undergraduates. That is why most Indian students prefer to go to the US for a Ph.D- after they have completed their MSc.
Vanitha Sugumaran
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 356
Hi Jyotsna,
Thanks for your reply. That is what I thought first and joined as an undergraduate student. Then some of our friends confused me about this matter. Now I am satisfied. I have finished 5 courses, still to do 13, that's ok.
Thanks again,
I agree. Here's the link:
subject: Need advice
It's not a secret anymore!