Win a copy of Clojure in Action this week in the Clojure forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

No guarantees for high-tech degrees

 
Jamin Williams
Ranch Hand
Posts: 44
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
CNN's artice: No guarantees for high-tech degrees
[ January 28, 2004: Message edited by: Jamin Williams ]
 
Steven Broadbent
Ranch Hand
Posts: 400
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
quote from the article:

"Jobs that used to be available for U.S. citizens are being diverted overseas where the quality is equal or better at a fraction of the cost," White said.
Is quality better - always or just sometimes? I've read a coupla articles that say it is often worse - so "cost" needs to be defined in a more general sense.
[ January 28, 2004: Message edited by: Steven Broadbent ]
 
Matt Cao
Ranch Hand
Posts: 715
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I think the title is misleading. It should have been: "Rerouting your high-tech degrees".
Regards,
MCao
 
Jamin Williams
Ranch Hand
Posts: 44
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that can be done here can be done just as well somewhere else.
The cost of living in the US is just too high. It is all going to have to come down if we are ever to compete.
Jamin
 
Robin Davies
Ranch Hand
Posts: 64
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If the U.S & UK & Europe want to retain their reputation of high quality software products, it is important that they invest in process improvement. India has over 50% of the worlds CMMI Level 5 accredited organisations.
Processs improvement programs will solve alot of our problems. Maybe we cannot compete with price, but we can definetly ensure product quality.

Quality, Process Improvement
Quality, Process Improvement
Quality, Process Improvement (CMMI, ISO, CMMI, CMMI, CMMI) CMMI
 
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 17624
39
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Unfortunately, customers seem to be resigned to lousy impersonal service (Please stay on the line. Your Call is Very Important to Us. To enter the Labyrinth of Despair, press 7). In general even exceptional service and quality hasn't been able to compete well against such a high cost differential.
 
Tim Baker
Ranch Hand
Posts: 541
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Jamin Williams:
The cost of living in the US is just too high. It is all going to have to come down if we are ever to compete.

Only in comparison to the developing world. Compared to the UK and Europe it's hugely less.
 
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
Posts: 5093
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Tim Baker:

Only in comparison to the developing world. Compared to the UK and Europe it's hugely less.

Yes, but at the same time the standard of living in the US is often a lot higher than in Europe, which is reflected in far higher salaries in the US.
From what I hear, a programmer with my experience in the US makes about $75K a year (if not more).
Here in the Netherlands I'm not doing at all badly with �30K a year.
Combined with the lower taxes in the US (which are at least in part offset by our higher level of social security) that's a very substantial difference for the same job.
And even here people are being replaced with outsourcing companies in Indonesia and Russia (plus India and Pakistan)...
 
Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1759
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Robin Davies:
If the U.S & UK & Europe want to retain their reputation of high quality software products, it is important that they invest in process improvement. India has over 50% of the worlds CMMI Level 5 accredited organisations.
Processs improvement programs will solve alot of our problems. Maybe we cannot compete with price, but we can definetly ensure product quality.

Quality, Process Improvement
Quality, Process Improvement
Quality, Process Improvement (CMMI, ISO, CMMI, CMMI, CMMI) CMMI

You have made some very valid points. Have you looked at Extreme Programming/Agile methodologies. It is considered to be an alternative to formal Process Improvement like CMMI.
 
Robin Davies
Ranch Hand
Posts: 64
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes I am fully aware of them. However, I think CMMI is the way of the future for process improvement. I fully support it.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic