• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

installing jstl separately from tomcat

 
Barbara Norway
Ranch Hand
Posts: 150
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I had installed Tomcat 5.0.27 a few months back and connected it to apache. No problem. But, while reading "Head First JSP and Servlets" in order to add some functionality to some old JSP pages using JSTL, I read on page 434 that I could copy the jstl.jsr from the Tomcat subdirectory WEB-INF/lib. Well I couldn't find it there on my particluar installation and it was nowhere to be found on the server. So I went to the apache site to download it. I installed the taglibs and copied the jstl.jsr to the WEB-INF/lib directory under Tomcat. I restarted Tomcat, added a few lines of <c:when>, etc. and below my page language and jsp:useBean statements in one of my jsps.

Well, when I tried to redisplay the page I got the following error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:50)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:409)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:118)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.generateTLDLocation(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:316)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:147)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:418)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:483)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1539)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:126)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse(ParserController.java:220)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:101)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:203)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:470)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:451)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:511)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)



note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.0.27 logs.

Apache Tomcat/5.0.27

Can someone help please? Do I have a mismatch of versions somewhere or an incorrectly placed jar or a bad URL or....

Thanks very much in advance.
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64958
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You need both jstl.jar and standard.jar. The latter contains the TLDs.
 
Barbara Norway
Ranch Hand
Posts: 150
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Bear! That was it. I told you I was a newbie
 
Will Fleming
Greenhorn
Posts: 20
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This helped me when I switched Tomcat -> jboss.

So much to learn....
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic