aspose file tools*
The moose likes JSP and the fly likes problem inserting arabic data Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Soft Skills this week in the Jobs Discussion forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » JSP
Bookmark "problem inserting arabic data" Watch "problem inserting arabic data" New topic
Author

problem inserting arabic data

Ven Ram
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 15, 2003
Posts: 11
Dear All,

I am trying to insert arabic data from a JSP page to Oracle table. Oracle is set with NLS_LANG = to arabic character set. When i try to insert the record it is geting saved in the form of unicode in the table. because of which each arabic character is taking nearly 6-7 charcters. I am having space prob. as well.

In JSP also i am using contentType="text/html;charset=windows-1256"
but if the data i key in is small one inarabic i am able to see it properly, here also data is getting stored in the for of unicode.

Even i tried to insert arabic data into the table directly, this data is retrieved in teh for of "???" rather than arabic language.

Can anyone help me how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.
[ March 17, 2005: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]
Abhinay Verma
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Posts: 24
Try using UTF-8 as the charset


Let me know if it solves your problem
Ven Ram
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 15, 2003
Posts: 11
Abhinay,

Tried with UTF-8, Still not working. It still insert as UNICODE in the DB.
Ram Kumar Subramaniam
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 17, 2003
Posts: 68
This is not a very quick solution, but hope the following might help

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/pdf/best_practices/globalization_best_practices.PDF

Search for the following text "Database Access using JDBC" and have a look at that section.

Faced a similar problem earlier in chinese with DB2, we use unicode as the database encoding and use UTF-8 as the charset in HTML/JSP pages. We made a setting on the websphere app server too to follow the client encoding or something.(Cant recall what exactly.)
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: problem inserting arabic data