Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Problem in displaying Japanese Characters on Web

 
Conan King
Greenhorn
Posts: 23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Friends,

Hope one of you could help me in this!!

We are using SHIFT_JIS character encoding in our jsps to display Japanese characters.

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=SHIFT_JIS" %>

Is there any other configuration required on server side to let the Japanese characters being displayed? Because what I am getting on screen is quite annoying. Well something like below.

?V?M???�

Even though my knowledge in Japs isn't too good :-)) I can understand that these are not Japanese. I believe I am missing something in terms of server side configuration, Can anybody point that out. (Maybe some of the Japanese developers in here).

This could not be a client side issue, since from the same machine I can access other Japanese sites and they display properly. Let me know if anybody can help.

Thanks,
Conan
 
Eric Pascarello
author
Rancher
Posts: 15385
6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
maybe something like this would help:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=EUC-JP">


Eric
 
Conan King
Greenhorn
Posts: 23
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for the reply Eric.

Tried with your meta tag, It did change the characters, but they are not Japanese yet. Initially I was getting ??? on the screen, Now there were some different characters, but not quite Japanese. However after trying with some other combinations, I used pageEncoding to get the Japanese characters properly printed.

This was what I used finally

<%@ page
contentType="text/html; charset=SHIFT_JIS "
pageEncoding="SHIFT_JIS"
%>

And the Japanese texts got printed properly on the browser.
属性をすべて表示します

However the worries are not completely gone. Now there is a warning message in the Websphere log (I am running these in WAS 5.0)

Error in Log

TraceNLS u No message text associated with key Failed.to.create.a.writer.with.encoding:.{0}..The.default.encoding.will.be.used. in bundle com.ibm.ejs.resources.seriousMessages
SRTServletRes W Failed to create a writer with encoding: SHIFT_JIS . The default encoding will be used.

Well any idea on what is this is now?? I would appreciate suggestion from anybody having some idea of this problem.
 
Ja vardhan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 169
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Friends,

I am also working on this type of application and suffering with proble: not able to display Japanese characters on UI, Here am entering the Japanese string in one page and trying todisplayon other page(just to check); its not working, they r getting displayed like �����‚wr��†��Ÿ, i understood its not japanese. Actually i have to cappture the user entered japanese character, store it into Oracle DB and and fetch n display that string whenever necessary.

To display on UI i tried out the solutions u guys specified above, but am not able to get it.
Pls. tell me in detail what r the various things i need to do for displaying on UI and storing in DB.

Thnx.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic