I have a great confusion that to take onsite opportunity or not.. so thought of asking for a note of advice from all of you..
The thing is presently I am working on Java project.But my manager is considering me for an onsite requirement for 3 months at Netherland which is a PowerBuilder to Java migration project..My role will be work on PowerBuilder & NOT on Java ..btw I have 4+ years of experience in PowerBuilder & 1 years experience in Java.I shifted my job from PB to Java 1 year back as I had keen interest to work on Java project.
Now the confusion is I am not able to decide whether should I take this opp or not..I know I will get more money if I take onsite opp...but now I dont know whether do I want money or technology..Also if I go onsite ..shift back to Java technology will be possible for me or not is also a question?
Has anybody out here has faced such situation or even if not...your replies are most welcome...Please help me to come out of this tiring confusion state of mind..Its killing me...
But my manager is considering me for an onsite requirement for 3 months at Netherland which is a PowerBuilder to Java migration project..My role will be work on PowerBuilder & NOT on Java
Since it is only for 3 months, I would definitely opt for such an opportunity. And moreover Holland is a nice place to visit. Many of my friends have been to Amsterdam and I guess you will not regret in taking this decision. If time permits, you could as well visit neighboring places
Also if I go onsite ..shift back to Java technology will be possible for me or not is also a question?
This is something for you to decide. If you feel that by taking this onsite option, you are going to jeopardize your Java role after your return, then watch out and take the decision carefully. But I guess 3 months time should not really pose a problem. I have never been in such kind of situations. My opinions reflect what I might have done if in the same position.
Please look carefully at official naming policy at javaranch & reregister yourself with proper first & last name, with a space between them. Initials may be used for the the first name, but not th last name. Please adhere to official naming policy & help maintain the decorum of the forum. The naming policy can be found at http://www.javaranch.com/name.jsp
I would advice to go ahead and take this opportunity.
1. It adds an on-site experience to your CV. 2. Its a migration job. It IS differnt than a job in PB. Tomorrow if YOU were to assign a person for doing this job, would you choose a person knowling ONLY PB? or ONLY Java? may be BOTH! Do not look at it as if they are giving u a PB assignment. Fine PB might occupy a major chunk of assignment. But remember you are chosen as you know BOTH. 3. After you are done with it, you can ask for the next assignment to be in Java. Start the 'setting' for it from now on. Meet the manager, tell him this is not inline with your immediate career goals. But you will go ahead as the company 'needs' you now. And you are expecting a Java work when you return. 4. Did u give up PB as u did not like it? Or did u give it up as its market decreased? You have worked on it for a long time. Chances are u do not hate it. You have got an opportunity to prove your knowledge of Java as well as PB.
Alongwith being a good coder, try to be a good professional as well!