This week's book giveaway is in the OCPJP forum.
We're giving away four copies of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide and have Kathy Sierra & Bert Bates on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Dilemma C++ versus J2EE Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide this week in the OCPJP forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Dilemma C++ versus J2EE" Watch "Dilemma C++ versus J2EE" New topic
Author

Dilemma C++ versus J2EE

Lochana Lilly
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 28, 2004
Posts: 3
hi all,

This posting for my friend who has got job at Persistent Systems , pune ( http://www.persistent.co.in ) . He wants to be in banking domain as business analyst but his experience has been 1 yr in C++ in network security product development. Now at PSPL, he has choice to be either in C or C++ or J2EE or .NET.
He is confused as some say that he should build up his C++ experience to 2 yrs and then get into banking company . others say that he should jump to J2EE and after 1 yr jump into banking domain. still others say .NET is better
So what u all think? What should he take now so that he is a business analyst in next 4-5 yrs in banking,insurance or finance domain. He is MCA and C.A.Inter.
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 12, 2000
Posts: 5093
yugh, not another architect level job where the person holding it has minimal experience...

I'd say 4-5 years experience should be a minimum before even being allowed near a job of an analyst or architect.


42
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Posts: 1033
If he wants to do well in banking he should get an MBA, and learn a bit about all the various technologies, take up golf, and try not to get his hands too dirty (coding that is, in golf its the caddie who get his hands dirty). My personal choice would be to stick with the C++ network security, its a lot more fun than banking.
soniya saxena
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 18, 2004
Posts: 300
i dont understand what J2EE or C++ or .NET has got to do with becoming a business analyst in the banking domain. Does the choice of technology matter for becoming a business analyst.
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 12, 2000
Posts: 5093
it may well decide at least in part which project teams he gets to boss around.
In my experience Java architects get to impart their (often questionable) wisdom mainly on Java projects and C++ architects on C++ projects.
Java Lover
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 7
Maximum banking/telecom projects are done in J2EE..World's 70% of the enterprise application is build in J2EE and also any class product's like Oracle/SAP/PeopleSoft are build in J2EE.. so you know what option to take now
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 12, 2000
Posts: 5093
Oracle isn't built in J2EE.
They sell an application server for J2EE indeed, which they purchased from Ironflare.
They have an administration console and database client which was written in Java (not J2EE).

But the main database engine is not Java, I suspect it's C and Assembly but I'm not 100% certain.
soniya saxena
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 18, 2004
Posts: 300
However, we are speaking abt a business analyst and not a technical architect. A business analyst shouldnt be bossing arnd with a technical team and hence it shud not matter to him whatever maybe the implementation.

Originally posted by Jeroen Wenting:
it may well decide at least in part which project teams he gets to boss around.
In my experience Java architects get to impart their (often questionable) wisdom mainly on Java projects and C++ architects on C++ projects.
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Posts: 1033
Originally posted by Prem Jith:
Maximum banking/telecom projects are done in J2EE..World's 70% of the enterprise application is build in J2EE and also any class product's like Oracle/SAP/PeopleSoft are build in J2EE.. so you know what option to take now


J2EE is used to do the sort of work that used to be done in CICS and COBOL. The real hint is the meaning of the first E "Enterprise". If you are interested in "business data processing" then you should know something about J2EE.

Real telecom code is written in C, not even in C++. That's what C was designed for, its light, tight and more portable than assemby code. Oracle is probably written in C, since they do supply versions that run on most Unix flavours.
Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 12, 2000
Posts: 5093
Originally posted by soniya saxena:
However, we are speaking abt a business analyst and not a technical architect. A business analyst shouldnt be bossing arnd with a technical team and hence it shud not matter to him whatever maybe the implementation.



Indeed a business analyst should not worry about whether the product is implemented in Java, Cobol, C, or whatever.
But in practice they usually do and are assigned to projects based on the technical stuff they (think to, claim to?) know.
And indeed they should not boss technical people around but in my experience they often do just that (effectively pulling rank as they're almost always higher ranking people in the corporate hierarchy than the highest ranking techie.
Robert Hayes
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 24, 2004
Posts: 116
Originally posted by Jeroen Wenting:
Oracle isn't built in J2EE.
They sell an application server for J2EE indeed, which they purchased from Ironflare.
They have an administration console and database client which was written in Java (not J2EE).

But the main database engine is not Java, I suspect it's C and Assembly but I'm not 100% certain.


I think what Prem is saying is that Oracle is putting more and more of its products on its App Server; which is a J2EE server. Not that Oracle RDBMS is written in J2EE For example, Discoverer and TopLink do not run on a .Net server.
 
 
subject: Dilemma C++ versus J2EE