aspose file tools*
The moose likes JDBC and the fly likes Can I use a JDBC driver installed on another PC ? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Databases » JDBC
Bookmark "Can I use a JDBC driver installed on another PC ?" Watch "Can I use a JDBC driver installed on another PC ?" New topic
Author

Can I use a JDBC driver installed on another PC ?

Frank Sikuluzu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 116
I have a Windows 2000 server and a JDBC driver is installed there. On my local PC that uses Windows XP, the same kind JDBC driver can not be succesfully installed. So I am wondering --- Can I map a local drive to 2000 server's JDBC driver directory, and in my java code running on my PC, I specify the JDBC driver as the remote one installed on the 2000 server ?
Furthermore, the real database is installed on Unix box.
So, will this work ?
thanks,
frank
Joe Ess
Bartender

Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Posts: 8713
    
    6

Originally posted by Frank Sikuluzu:
On my local PC that uses Windows XP, the same kind JDBC driver can not be succesfully installed.

Not that I'm questioning your skillz, but I all the JDBC drivers (Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server) I've worked with just needed a JAR/ZIP file in the classpath. What database and driver are you using? What problem do you have installing on XP?


"blabbing like a narcissistic fool with a superiority complex" ~ N.A.
[How To Ask Questions On JavaRanch]
Frank Sikuluzu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 116
Originally posted by Joe Ess:

Not that I'm questioning your skillz, but I all the JDBC drivers (Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server) I've worked with just needed a JAR/ZIP file in the classpath. What database and driver are you using? What problem do you have installing on XP?

Let's put aside the installation problem. I am actually interested in knowing the answer to the following scenario --- Assuming that the JDBC driver is installed on PC #1's "C:\DB_JDBC" directory. On PC #2, I don't install any JDBC driver. On PC #2, I make a network drive map to map local "F" to PC #1's "C:\DB_JDBC". Then on PC #2, I add "C:\DB_JDBC\..jar" into my classpath and then run java code on PC #2. Does this work ?
Joe Ess
Bartender

Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Posts: 8713
    
    6

Originally posted by Frank Sikuluzu:

Does this work ?

That scenario is really no different than just copying the files over. If there is some reason you had to install the driver on your XP system (i.e. dll registration, registry keys, license) rather than copy it, those prerequesites would not be met on the XP box. If installation is required then this shouldn't work. Without knowing the database and the type of driver I can't really say anything other than try it and see.
Frank Sikuluzu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 116
Originally posted by Joe Ess:

That scenario is really no different than just copying the files over. If there is some reason you had to install the driver on your XP system (i.e. dll registration, registry keys, license) rather than copy it, those prerequesites would not be met on the XP box. If installation is required then this shouldn't work. Without knowing the database and the type of driver I can't really say anything other than try it and see.

Joe, it is jConnect5 for Sybase. So does it work ?
thanks
Joe Pawlak
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 02, 2003
Posts: 23
I believe you would use the F: drive instead of the C: drive when mapping PC #2's classpath
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Can I use a JDBC driver installed on another PC ?
 
Similar Threads
classpath on two different machines
JDBC and Linux
Which JDBC driver
French Character Problem....
No suitable driver Exception for sql server 2000