File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Background Check Investigation Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Background Check Investigation" Watch "Background Check Investigation" New topic
Author

Background Check Investigation

Kuldeep Dhakar
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 28, 2005
Posts: 4
During background check whether the cause for leaving / resigning is also investigated ?
If somebody has been fired from one of the previous employer and the current employer comes to know
about this thing during background check ,whether the person can be laid off on this very issue that he has
been fired from one of the employer. I am talking about India.Also if somebody applies for visa whether the same thing can affect visa processing.
Arjunkumar Shastry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 986
I don't think that should cause any problem.Employer might ask some explanation from you regarding that.Terminating the current job because previous employer fired you seems absurd.


Namma Suvarna Karnataka
Ram Munshi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 09, 2005
Posts: 55
Though some of the companies which crib about ethichs might take it otherwise,though in india equal opportunities Law does
not allow such kind of thing and it is somewhat illegal to fire somebody on this behalf that he has been fired in past.
Still can't say about investment bank and financial institutions.


Ram


Ram Munshi
ab parashar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 28, 2005
Posts: 130
I do not thing that reasons for leaving are investigated.IMO What is investigated is your duration and designation and nature of work at that company.

I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.
Kuldeep Dhakar
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 28, 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks for replies,K J Reddy your valuable comments are also invited,without which which this thread would be incomplete.
I want to make my question more clear that if somebody is fired from an organization due to misrepresentation of salary /experience whether he can be fired by any other organisation on the basis of this,once they come to know about this thing after background check though candidate might be showing everything honestly this time.
Other ranchers valuable comments are also invited.
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by Kuldeep Dhakar:
Thanks for replies,K J Reddy your valuable comments are also invited,without which which this thread would be incomplete.
I want to make my question more clear that if somebody is fired from an organization due to misrepresentation of salary /experience whether he can be fired by any other organisation on the basis of this,once they come to know about this thing after background check though candidate might be showing everything honestly this time.
Other ranchers valuable comments are also invited.


I know a old colleague of of mine who produced fake experience certificate because his current employer was not releiving him. The new compnay where he joined did background check and he was fired. The company which fired him was IBM. Accneture, Sap Labs, Fidelity, IBM, GE healtcare do background checks.


Groovy
Victor Banerjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 30, 2005
Posts: 88
Originally posted by ab parashar:
I do not thing that reasons for leaving are investigated.IMO What is investigated is your duration and designation and nature of work at that company.

I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.


What is funny about firing at Accenture? IMHO, they do a real thorough background check through 3rd party and fire people.
mukesh patil
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posts: 12
Experience enquiry is ok.
But How will those companies get salary information?
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8919

Originally posted by mukesh patil:
Experience enquiry is ok.
But How will those companies get salary information?


They may ask to bring salary certificate from the previous company.
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 20, 2003
Posts: 1704
Originally posted by mukesh patil:
Experience enquiry is ok.
But How will those companies get salary information?


They may ask you PAN no, Form 16 or related forms.
mukesh patil
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posts: 12
But if you are not submitting any such document then is there any other way by which they can find out your salary?
shalu sharma
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 09, 2002
Posts: 51
Originally posted by Pradip Bhat:


Accneture, Sap Labs, Fidelity, IBM, GE healtcare do background checks.


can u tell me how stringent is their background checks. Do they go down to all the companes where a person has worked ? Does CSC and Hewitt also does similar checks?
[ January 24, 2006: Message edited by: shalu sharma ]
Ravi Sekar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 01, 2006
Posts: 52
Shalu Sharam..

Why are you worried about background checks..?Did you fudge any information?
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 20, 2003
Posts: 1704
Originally posted by shalu sharma:


can u tell me how stringent is their background checks. Do they go down to all the companes where a person has worked ? Does CSC and Hewitt also does similar checks?

[ January 24, 2006: Message edited by: shalu sharma ]


I didnt understand how it makes difference. But to answer your query one of company I worked before, they went to my college, school, home town and to all my previous companies to enquire about me.
ab parashar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 28, 2005
Posts: 130
Originally posted by KJ Reddy:


I didnt understand how it makes difference. But to answer your query one of company I worked before, they went to my college, school, home town and to all my previous companies to enquire about me.


that sounds like Fidelity....
Ravi Sekar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 01, 2006
Posts: 52
One more question do the companies cross check and verify whether you have actually worked on the projects that you have mentioned in your resume...?
shalu sharma
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 09, 2002
Posts: 51
Originally posted by Su Ming:
One more question do the companies cross check and verify whether you have actually worked on the projects that you have mentioned in your resume...?


Now Su you too seems to be worried ..
Kuldeep Dhakar
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 28, 2005
Posts: 4
I think thread is being hijacked ,I would like to repeat my query that if somebody is fired due to misrepresentation
of experience/sal/medical ,LTA bills ,can he be fired again if company comes to know about it during
background check investigation though now he is not misrepresenting any facts.
Regarding the query from Su ,I don't think any company gives details about the kind of the project person has worked
and the skillset and all the internal thing ,at the most they can get your joining date,relieving date and last salary
drawn so one should not worried about the project details.
This thread I started to help the people and know better about the process ,this has nothing to do what should one do
or do not ,it entirely depeneds on individual conscience ,so request you to focus on thread only .
[ January 25, 2006: Message edited by: Kuldeep Dhakar ]
michel matal
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 29, 2007
Posts: 1
This thread I started to help the people and know better about the process
Even if this thread is a little old, it is very helpful.

Unless you have a contract or belong to a union that prevents firing, you can be fired for any reason that the company wants to fire you (except if they break antidiscrimination laws, such as sexual harassment.)

If the company finds out new information about your past, they can fire you for that. For example, if they found you that you were a criminal, but they did not know it until now.

However, it is very unlikely that the new company could find out about your misstatements on your application to the previous company. Most companies only give start and stop dates, and job title. If they give more information, sometimes they get sued by the previous employee for giving false information, so many companies do not give extra information.

Expect your company to inquire about very short duration jobs, and about long gaps in your job history. Companies know that those two things often indicate problems.

Even if your new company did find out, they would have to consider your past misstatement as serious enough to fire your now, which they probably would not do. If you are a good employee, they do not want to lose you. Also, most companies will give you a chance to explain, so you should have an honest explanation ready that makes you look as good as possible. Mistakes and misunderstandings are common, and that could have been what happened at your old company.

So most pre-employment background checkss verify identity, education, your last 3 jobs, and that you do not have a criminal record. From your post, you look good in all of these aspects. Just be ready to explain your old misstatement in the unlikely event that it comes up.
Nicholas Jordan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 17, 2006
Posts: 1282
Originally posted by Kuldeep Dhakar:
This thread I started to help the people and know better about the process ,this has nothing to do what should one do or do not ,it entirely depeneds on individual conscience ,so request you to focus on thread only.


Almost all of my carrer has been in construction in boom times. It was always believed, and several instances of having had access in an office proved the belief to be factual, that anyone having an injury would be fired under false pretext to avoid false claims by leeches.

I have developed a total disclaiming of any basis for judgement any company may make, whether factual and real or mertoriously void specualation and conjecture. That means I have to listen to user is a twit type of verbalistics, but my greatest sorrow is for those honest persons, believing the total authority - for which their service is promised a wristwatch for a watchful thirty years of service.

Have you ever seen one of these wristwatches up close ?

No concious person would belive everything they were told after that. It is not that I am adivising others to take this risky and perilous postion, I am only advising everyone to try to develop their own business. That gives one the skills to see why companies cannot do everything.


"The differential equations that describe dynamic interactions of power generators are similar to that of the gravitational interplay among celestial bodies, which is chaotic in nature."
Charlie Davidson
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 14, 2009
Posts: 1
quite an old post, but still very useful.. didn't they could check such things when if i apply..



______________________________________________
Free Background Check Information - Don't be a Victim
ha lo
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 30, 2009
Posts: 3
Friends,

I am still a little confused about this. We are told that according to the company's policies, compensation / salary is Private and Confidential and not to be disclosed to others. Still when background check agencies contact the HR department of company one has left and ask for salary details, is not the HR department violating the company policies in divulging that information ?
James Ward
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 27, 2003
Posts: 263
Usually the following are happens:
1. Your last 2 jobs may be verified. So, keep these in order.
2. Smaller companies/startups - do not spend time and money in doing extensive background checks. Bigger companies especially like Fidelity/Accenture are known to do a lot of background checks.
3. Many of these background checks are bogus - as these are done by third-parties. Often these third-parties are simply unable to collect any information.
ha lo
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 30, 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks James.

Even if we consider the extensive background checks done by Fidelity / Accenture, things like educational qualifications, duration / designation in previous companies, etc are not confidential information and can be shared and verified.

But if Fidelity / Accenture asks the HR department of another company (say ABC) to share the salary details of an employee, is the HR department of ABC right in sharing that information which is marked private and confidential ?
James Ward
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 27, 2003
Posts: 263
is the HR department of ABC right in sharing that information which is marked private and confidential


I think it is not right for a company to share this information with anyone. And as far as i can tell, they do not share this. Therefore, the onus is on the candidate to provide proof of his previous salary by way of Salary Slip/Appointment Letter/Service Certificate etc. Usually the companies do ask for previous salary proof (And these days you get salary slips in your email instead of a hard-copy, making the things even more virtual)!
ha lo
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 30, 2009
Posts: 3
ab parashar wrote:I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.


I guess some companies do reveal the salary .. Wonder how those 2 guys got fired at Accenture
I'm sorry if I am getting too legal in this
but Accenture must have told these guys the reason for firing
and these guys could probably question their previous company for disclosing confidential information (though they had done mischief on their part too)
Kumar Gadepalli
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 03, 2010
Posts: 2
ha lo wrote:
ab parashar wrote:I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.


I guess some companies do reveal the salary .. Wonder how those 2 guys got fired at Accenture
I'm sorry if I am getting too legal in this
but Accenture must have told these guys the reason for firing
and these guys could probably question their previous company for disclosing confidential information (though they had done mischief on their part too)


I have been working in a company from the last 5 years. Before joining into the present company, I worked for 2 yrs in a small company which is in a small city. When I was trying for a new job, no company has called for an interview. So that I have changed my experience as 2 yrs in another city and uploaded into websites. Then I started getting calls and joined in the present company 5 yrs back by producing fake certificates showing the experience in hyd. Now I am planning to change my present company and wanted to reveal my misstatements to future company, so that there will not be any problem.... Is that my approach is correct?
frank davis
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 12, 2001
Posts: 1479
Not sure if this deserves a sepatate thread, but "blacklisting" for "bad presentation" skills sounds crazy:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703389004575033583145567138.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird
Subramani Shiva
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 28, 2009
Posts: 23
Kumar Gadepalli wrote:
ha lo wrote:
ab parashar wrote:I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.


I guess some companies do reveal the salary .. Wonder how those 2 guys got fired at Accenture
I'm sorry if I am getting too legal in this
but Accenture must have told these guys the reason for firing
and these guys could probably question their previous company for disclosing confidential information (though they had done mischief on their part too)


I have been working in a company from the last 5 years. Before joining into the present company, I worked for 2 yrs in a small company which is in a small city. When I was trying for a new job, no company has called for an interview. So that I have changed my experience as 2 yrs in another city and uploaded into websites. Then I started getting calls and joined in the present company 5 yrs back by producing fake certificates showing the experience in hyd. Now I am planning to change my present company and wanted to reveal my misstatements to future company, so that there will not be any problem.... Is that my approach is correct?


Check out the post mentioned :BAckground Verification
I had discussed about how companies take BGC seriously... It would be better for you to correct the same as if caught you would be in trouble
indra chatterjee
Greenhorn

Joined: Mar 03, 2010
Posts: 4
Hi,
I am going to join [elided] in a couple of months. Do you guys have any idea about how [elided] conducts background verification?
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Joined: May 21, 2006
Posts: 425

Indra,
Welcome to Javaranch!

Discussions on specific companies are not allowed in Javaranch. Read this for more information.
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 10355
    
    8

Kumar Gadepalli wrote:
I have been working in a company from the last 5 years. Before joining into the present company, I worked for 2 yrs in a small company which is in a small city. When I was trying for a new job, no company has called for an interview. So that I have changed my experience as 2 yrs in another city and uploaded into websites. Then I started getting calls and joined in the present company 5 yrs back by producing fake certificates showing the experience in hyd. Now I am planning to change my present company and wanted to reveal my misstatements to future company, so that there will not be any problem.... Is that my approach is correct?


Ok. Let me get this straight.
You got a job by faking some certificates? And you are announcing this to the world? On the internet?
One word. Wow !


[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
indra chatterjee
Greenhorn

Joined: Mar 03, 2010
Posts: 4
Hi,
I did not fake any certificate. Do not be oversmart buddy. I just want to know the process because my very first company was small which was in 2005 and does not work in the technology now i am working in. So i needed some information.
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Joined: May 21, 2006
Posts: 425

Firstly, I don't think Maneesh replied to your post. If you see his post he has replied to Kumar Gadepalli.

Also,
indra chatterjee wrote:Do not be oversmart buddy.

Please use proper language while posting here. I hope you realize that everyone is a volunteer here.
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 10355
    
    8

Indra my friend,
Please read http://faq.javaranch.com/java/BeNice
indra chatterjee
Greenhorn

Joined: Mar 03, 2010
Posts: 4
Sorry for the misunderstanding. i apologise. But can anyone help with my question?
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 10355
    
    8

To confess, I find this whole discussion about background check meaningless. Why should one bother what all things are checked as long as there is no falsification involved?
Are you concerned about the time taken for background verification (meaning delay in getting the appointment letter) or something? In such scenarios, it would be a good idea to talk to the HR and gain more information.
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Joined: May 21, 2006
Posts: 425

Maneesh Godbole wrote:To confess, I find this whole discussion about background check meaningless. Why should one bother what all things are checked as long as there is no falsification involved?

+1
indra chatterjee
Greenhorn

Joined: Mar 03, 2010
Posts: 4
I am a bit concerned about the profile to be honest. If at the time of verification they find out that my first company does not work in the technology now I am working in and if I show that I have worked in that technology in that company what will happen since 5 years ago it used to work in that technology.
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Joined: May 21, 2006
Posts: 425

indra chatterjee wrote:If at the time of verification they find out that my first company does not work in the technology now I am working in and if I show that I have worked in that technology in that company what will happen since 5 years ago it used to work in that technology.

If that company was really into the technology earlier, you can tell it clearly to the HR in your interview.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Background Check Investigation