wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes JDBC and the fly likes Head First SQL: .NET or Java? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Databases » JDBC
Bookmark "Head First SQL: .NET or Java?" Watch "Head First SQL: .NET or Java?" New topic
Author

Head First SQL: .NET or Java?

Jenson Chew
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 27, 2007
Posts: 55
Hi Lynn,

I browse through the Table Of Content of Head First SQL, never go through the detailed Content yet. But one thing I wish to clarify with you is, is this book for Java programmer or .NET developer, or both?

Talking about SQL, I wish to ask you another question, which is regarding the Merged Application between mobile device and SQL server. Does your book touch on that? How well is SQL working with Java-based mobile device and the application residing inside?

How do we cater for the interoperability between Java-based and windows mobile-based mobile devices connecting to the same SQL server?

I hope my questions are not out of topic.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jenson

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]
[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Jenson Chew ]

:: Vision is Power ::
Lynn Beighley
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2007
Posts: 82
This book strictly covers SQL syntax and database design. It goes into great depth, but is not for the developer who knows SQL and wants to create connections into his applications. It IS for the developer who has never written a query or designed a table.


Lynn Beighley<br />Author, Head First SQL
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60767
    
  65

Jenson Chew, please be sure to take the time to compose descriptive subjects for your posts; read this for more information.

I have adjusted the subject of this post for you.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Jenson Chew
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 27, 2007
Posts: 55
Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
Jenson Chew, please be sure to take the time to compose descriptive subjects for your posts; read this for more information.

I have adjusted the subject of this post for you.


Hi Bear,

Sorry, I would take note of it next time, and thanks for the efforts.

Btw, I've edited it to Head First SQL: .NET or Java

Regards,
Jenson
[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Jenson Chew ]
Jenson Chew
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 27, 2007
Posts: 55
Originally posted by Lynn Beighley:
This book strictly covers SQL syntax and database design. It goes into great depth, but is not for the developer who knows SQL and wants to create connections into his applications. It IS for the developer who has never written a query or designed a table.


Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply. So can I assume that, if for those who has a little bit of SQL experience (as in learned in college or self-study before), would it be a nice companion for them to pick up SQL again, and to move on to more advanced level?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jenson
Lynn Beighley
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2007
Posts: 82
That is correct, Jenson.
Jenson Chew
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 27, 2007
Posts: 55
Originally posted by Lynn Beighley:
That is correct, Jenson.


Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply. I would expect it to help me to learn how to write good SQL statements and adopt good practices too. Would it introduce one to pick up Stored Procedure well? Or it mainly touch on basic things like database designs, basic queries, and etc?

Regards,
Jenson
Lynn Beighley
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2007
Posts: 82
No stored procedures, but yes, all the crucial things you need to learn about SQL. Here's the table of contents, hopefully that will be helpful:

1 Data and Tables: A place for everything
2 The SELECT Statement: Gifted data retrieval
3 DELETE and UPDATE: A change will do you good
4 Smart Table Design: Why be normal?
5 ALTER: Rewriting the past
6 Advanced SELECT: Seeing your data with new eyes
7 Multi-table Database Design: Outgrowing your table
8 Joins and Multi-table Operations: Can�t we all just get along?
9 Subqueries: Queries Within Queries
10 Outer Joins, Self Joins, and Unions: New maneuvers
11 Constraints, Views, and Transactions: Too many cooks spoil the database
12 Security: Protecting your assets
Jenson Chew
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 27, 2007
Posts: 55
Originally posted by Lynn Beighley:
No stored procedures, but yes, all the crucial things you need to learn about SQL. Here's the table of contents, hopefully that will be helpful:

1 Data and Tables: A place for everything
2 The SELECT Statement: Gifted data retrieval
3 DELETE and UPDATE: A change will do you good
4 Smart Table Design: Why be normal?
5 ALTER: Rewriting the past
6 Advanced SELECT: Seeing your data with new eyes
7 Multi-table Database Design: Outgrowing your table
8 Joins and Multi-table Operations: Can�t we all just get along?
9 Subqueries: Queries Within Queries
10 Outer Joins, Self Joins, and Unions: New maneuvers
11 Constraints, Views, and Transactions: Too many cooks spoil the database
12 Security: Protecting your assets


Hi Lynn,

All these look good to me, I think I would be getting one too. When will it be available off the shelf? Or you recommend to purchase from Amazon? ;)

These are just what I'm going to look into, once again, and hopefully another advanced level SQL book.

By the way, Lynn, do you intend to write another intermediate or advanced level SQL book after this Head First SQL?

Regards,
Jenson
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Head First SQL: .NET or Java?
 
Similar Threads
New in JavaRanch and need helps and guidance
Developer point of difference for Head First SQL?
which DB is used in Head First Sql?
HF SQL - Refresher course on SQL
Book distribution for HF SQL