and kept getting SQLExceptions. I had first tried that as a myResultSet.getInt(1) call, but it was no better when I tried it as getLong(1) or getObject(1). I got the details from ResultSetMetaData and it said column 1 was type -5 (typeName = BIGINT) and its name was COUNT(*), so that wasn't the problem.
I am using InnoDB on MySQL5.0.51.
I presume count(*) returns a bigint (That is what it says in the MySQL manual �11.11.1 page 719 and it doesn't say anything about unsigned) and I thought a bigint corresponds to a long. I ended up using a workaround, because I already knew the count(*) for that table, but it's hardly satisfactory hard-coding such a number.
Stack Trace: SQL Exception: stack trace follows: state: S1000, error code: 00000 java.sql.SQLException at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:1055) at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:956) at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:926) at com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.checkRowPos(ResultSetImpl.java:815) at com.mysql.jdbc.UpdatableResultSet.checkRowPos(UpdatableResultSet.java:226) at com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.getLong(ResultSetImpl.java:2835) at com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.getLong(ResultSetImpl.java:2830) at database.CreditUnionTestInserter.makeLotsOfPayments(CreditUnionTestInserter.java:148) at database.CreditUnionTestInserter.main(CreditUnionTestInserter.java:224)
Changing to TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE didn't make any difference.