This week's book giveaway is in the Servlets forum.
We're giving away four copies of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP and have Joel Murach on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes background checks Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "background checks" Watch "background checks" New topic
Author

background checks

jaimehtapunenew mehta
Greenhorn

Joined: May 11, 2006
Posts: 1
Hi friends,
I want to know if somebody has mentioned his prevoius employers name
in his cv and that company is closed now then if his new employer checks for the verification then will it be posible that the new employer can fire this new employee becouse his mentioned company does not exits.Which indian companies do these kind of verification.
regards,
jai
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 20, 2003
Posts: 1704
As long as you provided correct information you do not need to worry about if your previous employer's closed their offices. Now a days many of MNCs doing verification.
Jeroen T Wenting
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 21, 2006
Posts: 1847
if they rejected every applicant who ever worked for a company that went out of business there won't be many people left who could ever get hold of a job...

Personally I've worked for 3 companies in the past, currently working for the 4th.
Of those 3 companies, 1 went bankrupt, 1 went out of business with the assets being acquired by a competitor, and the last had their parent company bought out by IBM who then shut them down (incorporating parts into their own infrastructure).

And oh, of all the schools and universities I attended only 1 still exists today, and that one I left without a diploma to continue elsewhere...


42
Amit Basnak
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 15, 2004
Posts: 71
Originally posted by jaimehtapunenew mehta:
Hi friends,
I want to know if somebody has mentioned his prevoius employers name
in his cv and that company is closed now then if his new employer checks for the verification then will it be posible that the new employer can fire this new employee becouse his mentioned company does not exits.Which indian companies do these kind of verification.
regards,
jai


hey Jai

Well if you have kept the job offer letter, salary slips and other documents etc from your previous employer which is closed now , you shouldnt worry also the compnay must have registered somewhere. YOur current employer can get the details.

Regards
Amit
Mark Herschberg
Sheriff

Joined: Dec 04, 2000
Posts: 6037
This is covered by state, not federa law. I'm pretty sure that is illegal under most state laws, but it probably depends on what state you're in.

(Of course, if you're in a different country, then those laws would apply. As you didn't list a country, many people here assume you're talking about the US as this is a US based board.)

--Mark
Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Posts: 1241
Originally posted by Jeroen T Wenting:
Personally I've worked for 3 companies in the past, currently working for the 4th.
Of those 3 companies, 1 went bankrupt, 1 went out of business with the assets being acquired by a competitor, and the last had their parent company bought out by IBM who then shut them down (incorporating parts into their own infrastructure).

And oh, of all the schools and universities I attended only 1 still exists today, and that one I left without a diploma to continue elsewhere...
Blimey. You're obviously not a good luck charm


There will be glitches in my transition from being a saloon bar sage to a world statesman. - Tony Banks
Jeroen T Wenting
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 21, 2006
Posts: 1847
Originally posted by Dave Lenton:
Blimey. You're obviously not a good luck charm


I could have added the countries I've visited that no longer exist...
USSR, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, GDR.
I've visited New Orleans too, come to think...
Rakesh Nadar
Greenhorn

Joined: Apr 26, 2006
Posts: 14
Even for me, my 1st company where I worked for 2 years closed around 2 years ago. I dont have an experience certificate from there. I told my present company about it gave them the address and my project managers number with whom I have worked there. And I think my verification process was cleared (Yea I was really scared when they fired a few people) but if they find any discripency they will surely ask my justification and I can provide them with something or have someone who can justify that I was working with that firm. Just dont try to lie or manipulate things.

Rakesh Nadar
JigaR Parekh
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 23, 2005
Posts: 112
I agree with rakesh that you should try to manipulate truth.

With my current company i was having same problem, my first company has shutdown their business,
but i had pass on this messages to my current company along with contact details, so my background check gone very well.

JigaR
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 20, 2003
Posts: 1704
Originally posted by JigaR Parekh:
I agree with rakesh that you should try to manipulate truth.


Do you mean one should not try to manipulate truth?
Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Posts: 1241
Originally posted by Jeroen T Wenting:
I could have added the countries I've visited that no longer exist...
USSR, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, GDR.
I've visited New Orleans too, come to think...
Does it apply to websites as well? Should we expect Javaranch to collapse soon
Arun Saxena
Greenhorn

Joined: May 21, 2006
Posts: 2
Hi friends,
But as far as I know ,if a company does background checks it mentions this in its offer letter,so that the employee know it before joining .
thanx
Kuvempu Puttappa
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 04, 2006
Posts: 87
If any of your previous employer goes out of business it should be considered an advantage.You can loudly say :When I resigned company stopped making profit.
Arun Saxena
Greenhorn

Joined: May 21, 2006
Posts: 2
one thing ,I also like to add,is it mandatory for a software compamy to be registered somewhere.Means there can be a public record of a software company.
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: background checks
 
Similar Threads
Please Help Me
Background Check Investigation
IBM vs. SUN
background check
reg H1B