aspose file tools*
The moose likes EJB and other Java EE Technologies and the fly likes How a Distributed application differs from client server application, Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » EJB and other Java EE Technologies
Bookmark "How a Distributed application differs from client server application," Watch "How a Distributed application differs from client server application," New topic
Author

How a Distributed application differs from client server application,

jacob deiter
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 02, 2008
Posts: 576
How a Distributed application differs from client server application,

I read a book; it says that, in distributed application each tier in separate computer. as per my understanding client server application each tier in separate computer

Client server application can have 3 tier like presentation tier, business logic tier(jboss) and database tier (oracle)

Distributed application also can have 3 tier like presentation tier, business logic tier and database tier.
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Posts: 2874
Distributed application means, an application itself distributed on several machines. Think of an appplication deployed on JBoss, since you mentioned it specifically, in clustered environment.

Further, the database can be distributed among several machines. That is known as Distributed Database.
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Posts: 2874
As a matter of fact, you can say a client server app is a two-tier distributed application. Database will not be counted as an application tier actually. Its a separate thing and can serve many different application, without being a part of any, particularly.

Loosely speaking, Web applications don't come in this client/server category. Because all you have is the application on the server. Client has nothing but the browser.
[ October 29, 2008: Message edited by: Adeel Ansari ]
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Joined: Apr 14, 2004
Posts: 10336


Distributed application means, an application itself distributed on several machines

A distributed application need not be distributed accross multiple physical machines. A distributed application could be one that runs on the same machine accross multiple JVMs for example.


Loosely speaking, Web applications don't come in this client/server category. Because all you have is the application on the server. Client has nothing but the browser.

This is a debatable point, given what is possible in a browser using AJAX, JavaScript, CSS, Flash, Java, ActiveX etc. It would be possible (though probably not advisable) to have a fairly dumb server application and a spectacularaly complex client application in a browser.
[ October 29, 2008: Message edited by: Paul Sturrock ]

JavaRanch FAQ HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch
jacob deiter
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 02, 2008
Posts: 576
an application itself distributed on several machines


it means that all tiers(presentation,business ,persistence) of an application are distributed across many JVM in Many computers.for example if I want 5 kind of presentation then I can distribute across 5 physical computers ,then business logic across many physical computers


Database will not be counted as an application tier actually


then what represent database layer?

Loosely speaking, Web applications don't come in this client/server category


Can I say web application as single tier if the client is very thin client?
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Posts: 2874
Originally posted by Paul Sturrock:
This is a debatable point, given what is possible in a browser using AJAX, JavaScript, CSS, Flash, Java, ActiveX etc. It would be possible (though probably not advisable) to have a fairly dumb server application and a spectacularaly complex client application in a browser.


Thats the reason, I said loosely. And normally, when we mean web application, we don't say client/server application. And when we really mean client/server application, we don't say web app. That was my point.
[ October 29, 2008: Message edited by: Adeel Ansari ]
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Posts: 2874
Originally posted by Paul Sturrock:
A distributed application need not be distributed accross multiple physical machines. A distributed application could be one that runs on the same machine accross multiple JVMs for example.


Definitely, I forgot to make this point clear. Thanks for your clarification.
[ October 29, 2008: Message edited by: Adeel Ansari ]
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Posts: 2874
Originally posted by jacob deiter:
it means that all tiers(presentation,business ,persistence) of an application are distributed across many JVM in Many computers.for example if I want 5 kind of presentation then I can distribute across 5 physical computers ,then business logic across many physical computers


I think, you are mixing layer with tiers.

Originally posted by jacob deiter:
then what represent database layer?


I meant Database Server. Which is separate independent system.

Originally posted by jacob deiter:
Can I say web application as single tier if the client is very thin client?


No. It can be a n-tier application, distributed over different JVMs or/and machines.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: How a Distributed application differs from client server application,