File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes How to hold off on a job offer... Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "How to hold off on a job offer..." Watch "How to hold off on a job offer..." New topic
Author

How to hold off on a job offer...

Ann Basso
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 48
Here is a situation : Let's say you are interviewing for positions in two companies, A and B. You are about to get an offer from A and your might also get an offer from B within about a week of getting an offer from A. Your preferred job is B.

Now, what is the right approach for holding off the offer from A? Should you just accept offer from A and promise to join within a week and then after you get an offer from B, refuse to join A? That doesn't really sound professional but you cannot tell A that A is not your most prefered company and you want to wait for B. What if B's offer doesn't come?

I am wondering what to do in such a case?
Rahul Bhattacharjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Posts: 2308
Though its unprofessional but can say yes to the first one and once you get the expected offer you can tell that you will not be able to join.

Now the companies are also smart , for a position of 2 they offer 5 people considering that 3 might not turn up.At least its the situation with major service based companies here in India.

What happens if all of them join ?

Thats unlikely , but if at all this happens then extras straight away to the bench.


Rahul Bhattacharjee
LinkedIn - Blog
Arjunkumar Shastry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 986
Contact B saying that you need to take career decision immediately hence B should reply.They will reply positive if you are their preferred candidate.If they delay saying on some "standard HR process" make sure they are still waiting for perfect candidate.


Namma Suvarna Karnataka
Rahul Bhattacharjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Posts: 2308
Originally posted by Arjunkumar Shastry:
If they delay saying on some "standard HR process" make sure they are still waiting for perfect candidate.


Very true.
sunny dhoni
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 24, 2007
Posts: 9
I am in same situation currently.

I have accepted offer from A.
appeared for B's i/v and got selected there.
now i have to convey B about the decision.
already resigned frm current co.
can i take up B's offer as well, compare both the offers and say no to one of them?
i m inclined towards A, as its good. so it fine to accept B's offer, keep it with me, then join A, if i like A then continue with A or else leave A and go for B. Is it possible?
or is it mandatory to join once we accept any offer?
is signing the offer letter and accepting binds us to join tht co.


You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Ann Basso
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 48
Originally posted by Arjunkumar Shastry:
Contact B saying that you need to take career decision immediately hence B should reply.


Unfortunately, their process takes that much time. No way to speed it up. So there is a 7 day lag in B's offer.

One can get 1-2 days time for accepting the offer. You can say that you want to sleep on it or may be put them in a loop about the salary. But you can't dangle them for a week on this.

OTOH, saying yes and then not turning up or notifying after 7 days that you are not going to join creates a really bad feeling and also burns the bridge. After all, it is a small world in s/w industry.
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 20, 2003
Posts: 1704
Saying yes and then not turning up is not good but some times this kind of situations we can't avoid. I feel it is ok if you notify the company that you are not joining with them by giving them enough time to have alternative plan instead of informing them in the last minute. I seen some people neither they don't inform nor respond to the calls which is bad.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41621
    
  55
The professional way to handle this is of course not to accept the position, but rather to tell company A that you're talking to other companies as well, and giving them a date when they can expect a decision. You should make it clear that this is not your way of trying to get them to up their offer, but due to the fact that you're interviewing elsewhere. Also let company B know that a decision is needed by a certain date, because another company is expecting your decision.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
sunny dhoni
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 24, 2007
Posts: 9
this is very true that saying no afterwards is highly unprofessional
but if I tell them that i m in talk with other companies then it can be a wave of insecurity for them.

i mean they will think that as I am keeping the options open i would not join them if I get good offer from some other company and so its possible that they will not give me the offer at all.

Then in that case I will lose on this opportunity. Again, if I give my decision as no then it would be unfair on my part that I wont get much time to think.

If I accept the offer and keep it with me, I will get some time to think and compare both the offers and then I can decide upon it.

Also these days, people do like this as they have ample number of offers in hand.

What you all suggest? Am I right?
[ August 08, 2007: Message edited by: sunny dhoni ]
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41621
    
  55
The obvious question the company would ask at that point is "what prevents you committing to our company right now?" If your answer is purely about money, then the company may or may not be prepared to do something about that. If the answer is about something else, then that's something for you to discuss with the company.

A relationship between a company and an employee is a serious thing. It should be approached with honesty on both sides. What's the point of pretending on either side, when the resulting problems will cause grief to everyone involved?
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 23, 2003
Posts: 597
i mean they will think that as I am keeping the options open i would not join them if I get good offer from some other company and so its possible that they will not give me the offer at all.]i mean they will think that as I am keeping the options open i would not join them if I get good offer from some other company and so its possible that they will not give me the offer at all.


You are right on this. In current job market, both companies and candidates play safe. If you give even little hint that you are also trying elsewhere may be your offer will be kept on hold and they will try to search another candidate. If they do not get anyone better than you in say week or 10 days, they will again call you to see how much interest you have in the opening ( assuming you did not make follow up). This has happened with me. It all depend on company to company how their policies are. Somtimes few companies will give you offer but will ask you to join within week or two ( so you should not get enough time to try elsewhere )
[ August 08, 2007: Message edited by: Rajesh Thakare ]

Sandeep
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: How to hold off on a job offer...