aspose file tools*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes a very important question.. Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "a very important question.." Watch "a very important question.." New topic
Author

a very important question..

Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
Hi everyone!
I am engineering student of E.C.E & I am about to enter my final year.
There is no doubt today that Javascript (including AJAX ,DOM & JSON) is the most important scripting language for client side web development & pays well too.For Server side it is PHP which is most demanded in the job-market.Since i have a very limited programming background can i start with learning & coding in these languages straight away.I am ready to put in the hard work but just want to confirm here if there are any pre-requisites to learn them or will it not be a hindrance even for an electronics guy like me.

Your expert opinions will be very valuable cause this is the right time for me to make these decisions as i still have a year to prepare for my future .


<a href="http://foureyedmonsters.com/neutrality/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://foureyedmonsters.com/neutrality/</a><br /><a href="http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/ctc/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/ctc/</a>
Thamizh Velan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Posts: 38
Originally posted by Ed Stevens:
Hi everyone!
I am engineering student of E.C.E & I am about to enter my final year.
There is no doubt today that Javascript (including AJAX ,DOM & JSON) is the most important scripting language for client side web development & pays well too.For Server side it is PHP which is most demanded in the job-market.Since i have a very limited programming background can i start with learning & coding in these languages straight away.I am ready to put in the hard work but just want to confirm here if there are any pre-requisites to learn them or will it not be a hindrance even for an electronics guy like me.

Your expert opinions will be very valuable cause this is the right time for me to make these decisions as i still have a year to prepare for my future .


I cannot comment about what technology is hot and what is not. It largely depends on the market in which you are in and is time variant.

About having an electronics engineering degree and learning software languages, well, I would say that is not a real hard thing most of the times. I could see you have a clear vision, so go ahead.
And about having a very limited programming background being in Electronics, yes I agree that. I remember doing Microprocessor 8085 programming and a bit of 'C' programming when I was in my third year of Electronics Engineering. I did not even know what an object oriented system is and not even what Java means to the computers. Surprisingly, now I am completing my fourth year in IT as a Java developer with a couple or more certifications which I learned and earned after getting into a job. Learning and the quest to learn are the key factors which will eliminate all the hindrances on the way and I must accept that I did strive a lot to get along with "pure" breed software engineers.

This is one nice quote I read somewhere - ´┐ŻLearning is not compulsory... neither is survival.´┐Ż
Good luck.


தமிழ் - My mother tongue!
Srikanth Basa
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 06, 2005
Posts: 241
Its good that you are ahead of many other engineers who would compete with you once you are out of your college.

I believe your target is to get a decent job once you are out of your college ?

If that is the case, what I suggest is learn C thoroughly, OOPS concepts, SQL, Data structures, Algorithms, Computer Networks, Operating Systems, focus on problem solving and your communication skills.

Given that people who conduct your interview (for freshers) may be from different backgrounds and technologies, you would be mostly interviewed on the things that I mentioned above rather than what is hot.
Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
Thanks so much , i am in kind of a similar boat right now. I have asked it at one other place & here .So, that means i can embark on learning HTML then Javascript & finally PHP to have a well rounded knowledge base & the ability to handle most of the web-programming work that comes along.Learning Java won't be important or a prerequisite for Web-programming but if i want to take the JSP/Servlet and J2EE ROUTE THAN JAVA will have to be learnt,ALTHOUGH THERE ARE FEWER jobs esp. for freshers in the latter. Hope i am thinking in the right direction..Please guide...
Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
Originally posted by Srikanth Basavaraju:
Its good that you are ahead of many other engineers who would compete with you once you are out of your college.

I believe your target is to get a decent job once you are out of your college ?

If that is the case, what I suggest is learn C thoroughly, OOPS concepts, SQL, Data structures, Algorithms, Computer Networks, Operating Systems, focus on problem solving and your communication skills.

Given that people who conduct your interview (for freshers) may be from different backgrounds and technologies, you would be mostly interviewed on the things that I mentioned above rather than what is hot.


Yes you certainly have a point but i already have one job offer.So, in my final year i want to learn something that sets me up for a faster career ascent -because the salary package seems to be higher for web-programmers & Javascripts,HTML & PHP seem to be leading the pack...
Srikanth Basa
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 06, 2005
Posts: 241
Originally posted by Ed Stevens:
because the salary package seems to be higher for web-programmers & Javascripts,HTML & PHP seem to be leading the pack...


If you are under the impression that Web programmers stand on top of the charts for drawing highest salary, that a myth.
[ July 09, 2008: Message edited by: Srikanth Basavaraju ]
Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
Originally posted by Srikanth Basavaraju:


If you are under the impression that Web programmers stand on top of the charts for drawing highest salary, that a myth.

[ July 09, 2008: Message edited by: Srikanth Basavaraju ]


Obviously talented guys in any field can beat the mediocre ones in the other.
Don't get me wrong: there is a general consensus that there is somewhat a higher creative independence for Web-developers- thats what my analysis seems to suggest plus more importantly there are more number of jobs in there.So, since i already have one job-offer(although not a high paying one) i am itching to learn something that seems to be witnessing ahigh amount of growth and is here to stay-rather than go by convention-learn JAVA,JSP/Servlets,SPRING- which don't have too many openings for freshers but for a seasoned pro they hold a great deal of potential..
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Originally posted by Ed Stevens:


Obviously talented guys in any field can beat the mediocre ones in the other.
Don't get me wrong: there is a general consensus that there is somewhat a higher creative independence for Web-developers- thats what my analysis seems to suggest plus more importantly there are more number of jobs in there.So, since i already have one job-offer(although not a high paying one) i am itching to learn something that seems to be witnessing ahigh amount of growth and is here to stay-rather than go by convention-learn JAVA,JSP/Servlets,SPRING- which don't have too many openings for freshers but for a seasoned pro they hold a great deal of potential..



Ed,

You mentioned many times that PHP seems on top. I dont think so. I think JSP/SERVLET from java, or ASP from microsoft dot net, is the top one, in terms of job openings/demand. Ruby/Rails might be coming up soon on top, but I dont see PHP going on top, to my opinion.
Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
Originally posted by Jesus Angeles:



Ed,

You mentioned many times that PHP seems on top. I dont think so. I think JSP/SERVLET from java, or ASP from microsoft dot net, is the top one, in terms of job openings/demand. Ruby/Rails might be coming up soon on top, but I dont see PHP going on top, to my opinion.


Thanks Jesus! Yes then it will be worthwhile learning Java first then going in for JSP/Servlets & finally learning HTML/CSS & Javascript.Jigsaws finally falling into place i guess...
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Originally posted by Ed Stevens:


Thanks Jesus! Yes then it will be worthwhile learning Java first then going in for JSP/Servlets & finally learning HTML/CSS & Javascript.Jigsaws finally falling into place i guess...


Ya, java must come before jsp/servlets.

But HTML/CSS & Javascript, must come before jsp/servlets, because jsp/servlets' prime purpose is to generate (and uses) HTML (with or without CSS & Javascript).
[ July 09, 2008: Message edited by: Jesus Angeles ]
Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
Originally posted by Jesus Angeles:


Ya, java must come before jsp/servlets.

But HTML/CSS & Javascript, must come before jsp/servlets, because jsp/servlets' prime purpose is to generate (and uses) HTML (with or without CSS & Javascript).

[ July 09, 2008: Message edited by: Jesus Angeles ]


Again.. thanks for this vital information..
Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
Jesus one last ques- where do i fit PHP ? CAN I LEAVE IT OR SHOULD IT BE DONE AFTER JSP/Servlets?
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Originally posted by Ed Stevens:
Jesus one last ques- where do i fit PHP ? CAN I LEAVE IT OR SHOULD IT BE DONE AFTER JSP/Servlets?


You do PHP only if you choose to be a PHP developer.

As you know, some of popular server-side options are, JSP/SERVLET, ASP, and PHP.

For example, me, I am on java, and all my jobs so far do not need PHP, so I never study PHP.

Another guy who is on dot net/ASP would probably never study PHP.

Another guy who do PHP, possibly wont need ASP nor JSP.

Personally, I wouldnt really care about PHP. I tried and it is fun. But enterprise-wise, I think the biggest companies use either java or dot net, but I could be wrong.

I am on the same spot as you 2 years ago. I searched monster.com, etc. to see what is on demand. I dont remember why I chose java, but dot net was also in my list that time.
Ed Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 06, 2008
Posts: 38
GREAT!Jigsaws finally have fallen into place-just check this and tell me what you think..
http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=ASP%2CHTML%2Cjavascript%2CPHP%2Cj2ee&l=

THANK YOU!
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Originally posted by Ed Stevens:
GREAT!Jigsaws finally have fallen into place-just check this and tell me what you think..
http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=ASP%2CHTML%2Cjavascript%2CPHP%2Cj2ee&l=

THANK YOU!


That chart....

Hmmm...PHP is dead on the waters =) (I am not against PHP or anything; Its cute but I dont need it)

asp and j2ee seems on same level.

HTML, JAVASCRIPT and CSS are used by all, and they have no competition, we must know them. JAVA/jsp, asp/MICROSOFT, Ruby On rails, etc. all uses these html/javascript/css.

javascript is rising.......hmmmmm.......ajax (as ajax needs javascript, and ajax has gained burning hot popularity lately)?
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: a very important question..