This week's giveaway is in the Android forum.
We're giving away four copies of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons and have Godfrey Nolan on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Swing / AWT / SWT and the fly likes Thread-safe JMenuBar and JFrame ? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Swing / AWT / SWT
Bookmark "Thread-safe JMenuBar and JFrame ? " Watch "Thread-safe JMenuBar and JFrame ? " New topic
Author

Thread-safe JMenuBar and JFrame ?

achana chan
Ranch Hand

Hi all.
I'm trying to create a menu bar and a few menu items, but using an applet invoked by an html script. The menu items in the applet will have actionlisteners for buttons etc
On clicking a menu item , another screen (GUI) will pop up, contained in its own frame. It will be refreshed continuosly from there on i.e. a child process which has a live of its own, even when the mother process is shut down (CLOSE_ON_EXIT).
(1) Does this mean that the child process is another thread ???
If I use an event dispatching thread, does this mean the child is "thread safe" ??? Pls see code

(2)From all the docos I've read so far, it seems building a menu bar requires a JFrame, but since a JFrame is a top level container and (as I understand the tutorial) cannot be displayed in a browser window, then how do I go about building a menu bar for an applet ???
TIA :-)

humanum errare est.

jQuery in Action, 2nd edition

subject: Thread-safe JMenuBar and JFrame ?