I've written a simple app which shows some graphics on the screen and does some very basic sprite movement. I don't know/understand the best way to redraw each frame though.
What I'm doing now is approximately this -
This works, but it seems like a very 'expensive way' to do the drawing each frame. Is there some way to clear out the bufferedImage without doing a fill? Would it be better to create a new image each time - seems like I'd be moving lots of memory around that way.
I didn't have the T6 image in the path you had listed, so I grabbed one from the j2sdk under the applets examples. It looks like a molecule of some sort.
The only difference on my machine was that using a volatile image, the background gets drawn. IE I get a grey box around the pic as it bounces around the screen. The buffered doesn't do this.
It also seems to stutter when I drop the delay down all the way to 10. Its not a jerkiness per se. You can see the pic sliding across at a constant speed and then it hiccups ever so slightly. Would this be the garbage collector maybe?
Regards, Aaron R>
Joined: Jan 14, 2004
The gray box around your volatile image suggests trouble in this line:
I used the T6 in the tumbling duke image sequence from the sun example index. It has a white background and was being rendered on a white background in the app so I could have had some invisible artifacts. You could try the no–argument repaint to see if it works any better. I may have messed up the clipping rectangle. Please let me know how you do with it.
Did you read Chet's second article? It has some more code and information. I found that re–initializing the volatile image when validate returns VolatileImage.IMAGE_RESTORED (as shown in the articles and api) causes some tail–chasing: the renewed image triggers the IMAGE_RESTORED state.
I was pleased to find that the volatile image never needed to be re–initialized, even when I did some of the things on Chet's list of lost–data causes like launching the windows task manager. And I also could not distinguish any difference in appearance or performance between the volatile and buffered images.
I also observed the uneven motion of the image at high speeds near 10. I think this is caused by Swing adding separate calls to repaint together as they pile up in the event dispatch thread queue.
I’ve looked at a lot of different solutions, and in my humble opinion Aspose is the way to go. Here’s the link: http://aspose.com