• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they...

 
pete hesse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 44
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Whooooo! Just left a very heated discussion (Another McDonald's lawsuit), and feel the need to babble about a topic that really fits this board's theme:
How about we vent our day-to-day frustrations with the world in general and in trivial. My first one:
If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they think up a better way to package ketchup than in those ridiculous little packets. They are so annoying! If your hands are the least bit wet or greasy, forget it! It's time to use that last resort appendage (teeth). And after all that fuss, what do you get? About enough for one bite! (Me big ketchup lover).
I guess that thread I was reading before set me off on this subject.
Anybody else have a pet peeve to share?
 
Greg Harris
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1012
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
well, to expand on your post: just think where that little packet of ketchup has been before it enters your mouth to be ravaged by your teeth i think McD's food should be your last concern at that point! i am with you there.
why can't people drive? i mean, how hard is it to push the gas peddle when the light turns green? if everyone would push the gas peddle at the same time, then everyone could go at the same time... instead, the amount of time you spend at the light is directly proportional to your number in the line. if you are six cars back, then you have to wait ( 5 seconds * 5 ) before you can go.
i know that it is possible for everyone to go at the same time because a train can do it. of course, the cars on a train are connected, but the principle is the same. maybe i am crazy, but i think we can do it!
the general idea here applies to many of life's little problems... people just don't think!
 
pete hesse
Ranch Hand
Posts: 44
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Greg, I hear ya. I prefer to take my food home and get out the ketchup bottle.
I also agree about drivers. But I shouldn't have used the words "pet peeves". What I'm getting at here is, complete the sentence in the post's title. Gripe about why we can't seem to do some things better.
I've got another one (and excuse me if it's somewhat crude):
[title] - Why can't they figure out some way to muffle the noise in the public restrooms? If ever there was a place that needed background noise, that's the place. But YOU CAN HEAR A FREAKIN'
PIN DROP IN THERE!!! Gawd, do I really have to listen to every yicky detail of someone's gastric distress???
Ok, vented, relax Pete.
 
Maky Chopra
Ranch Hand
Posts: 149
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
test cookies
 
Andy Ceponis
Ranch Hand
Posts: 782
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Why do people wear sunglasses indoors? Are they vampires? Are they allergic to ultraviolet light? Is it to bright indoors for them?
[This message has been edited by Andy Ceponis (edited May 07, 2001).]
 
Andy Ceponis
Ranch Hand
Posts: 782
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I really want someone to tell me: When your late why do you get ALL the red lights? And when your just out cruising with all the time on your hands you never see one red light. Tell me!!!
 
Colin Russell
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
OK, here's my rant/peeve/whatever.
I'm a motorcyclist in the UK and there are several things which really wind me up.
Firstly when drivers throw lit cigarettes out of their windows - they've got an ashtray in their car - USE IT!!! I've been hit by a cigarette before, and fortunately I had my visor down otherwise it could have been very nasty.
Secondly, I use my motorbike in the rush-hour and filter through lines of stationary traffic to the front of the queue at the lights, or at least I do when drivers leave more than half an inch between themselves and the car next to them. I'm not going to hold anyone up if I get to the front of the queue, so why not just move over and let me through?
Anyway, rant over, the sun is shining (at last), the roads are dry, but I'm stuck in work for the next few hours at least. After that I'm going to have a burn on my bike!!!
Remember - Think Bike!!!
 
Stuart Ash
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Greg Harris:

the general idea here applies to many of life's little problems... people just don't think!


That's true!!
 
David O'Meara
Rancher
Posts: 13459
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Do we really need ancient history to be revived with throw away comments? If you really must fill the forum with these posts, can there please be a purpose?
 
Ram Bhakt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 145
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Greg Harris:

why can't people drive? i mean, how hard is it to push the gas peddle when the light turns green? if everyone would push the gas peddle at the same time, then everyone could go at the same time... instead, the amount of time you spend at the light is directly proportional to your number in the line. if you are six cars back, then you have to wait ( 5 seconds * 5 ) before you can go.

i know that it is possible for everyone to go at the same time because a train can do it. of course, the cars on a train are connected, but the principle is the same. maybe i am crazy, but i think we can do it!
[/b]


Hey, I know the answer to this one. What you are suggesting is not practical for the following reason.
When you are driving, there is a lot of space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you (buffer space, basically) that helps you avoid crashing into that vehicle if that vehicle brakes. Absence of that space is called "tail-gating", I believe.

Now, when you stop at a red light, do you keep the same amount of space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you? I haven't seen anybody doing that. So if there are 10 vehicles on a red light, there is 10 times that space to be driven. So effectively, you are still driving for some seconds even on a red light.

Obviously, when the light turns green, all the vehicles try to acquire the same buffer space again, causing a "delay" for the cars further in the line. This delay is not actually a delay but just a payback

Originally posted by Greg Harris:

the general idea here applies to many of life's little problems... people just don't think!


Did you?
 
Jaya Nagar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 47
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Stuart Ash,whats your intention?Where do you stay?If in Hyderbad,we can play chess.Only we two will be bored.
 
Paul Bourdeaux
Ranch Hand
Posts: 783
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Obviously, when the light turns green, all the vehicles try to acquire the same buffer space again, causing a "delay" for the cars further in the line. This delay is not actually a delay but just a payback

Outstanding answer Ram!
 
Stephen Boston
Ranch Hand
Posts: 165
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Greg Harris:
well, to expand on your post: just think where that little packet of ketchup has been before it enters your mouth to be ravaged by your teeth i think McD's food should be your last concern at that point! i am with you there.

why can't people drive? i mean, how hard is it to push the gas peddle when the light turns green? if everyone would push the gas peddle at the same time, then everyone could go at the same time... instead, the amount of time you spend at the light is directly proportional to your number in the line. if you are six cars back, then you have to wait ( 5 seconds * 5 ) before you can go.

i know that it is possible for everyone to go at the same time because a train can do it. of course, the cars on a train are connected, but the principle is the same. maybe i am crazy, but i think we can do it!

the general idea here applies to many of life's little problems... people just don't think!



It's not so much that they can't push the gas pedal, its the other morons in the intersection that can't press their break pedal!
[ December 29, 2005: Message edited by: Stephen Boston ]
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic