This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
I've searched through the ranch archives and the last posts related to this topic are dated in the year 2000 and haven't really answered my question.
I'm reading the Core Servlets book and trying to follow along setting up the classpath of all things. This should be simple, however, I'm not quite getting this development environment setup correctly.
I have the j2sdk 1.4.1.01 downloaded and installed here: C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
I have Tomcat 4.1 downloaded and installed here: C:\Tomcat 4.1 (notice the space)
I have a servlet development directory here: C:\ServletDev
My CLASSPATH environmental variable looks like this: .;C:\ServletDevl;"C:\Tomcat 4.1\common\lib\servlet.jar"
My JAVA_HOME environmental varialbe looks like this: C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
My Path environmental variable looks like this: .;C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin; ...etc
I know I should have quotes around the path string in the CLASSPATH variable, but do they go around the whole path or just around the Tomcat 4.1 part?
The text has an example CLASSPATH variable that looks like this: .;C:\ServletDev;install_dir\common\lib\servlet.jar
I've also read that I can copy the servlet.jar file to somewhere in the j2sdk, but I don't want to unless I have to.
I can open DOS and type from any directory and type:
Originally posted by leo donahue: You are correct! I did misspell that!
I made the change and I am still unable to compile a java file that extends HttpServlet.
Check your JAVA_HOME AND CATELINA_HOME , are pointing to correct location [ October 04, 2004: Message edited by: Santosh Maskar ]
Joined: Apr 17, 2003
Thanks everyone, I have it now.
I forgot to add the CATALINA_HOME variable and then uncommented the path string to the servlet.jar in the CLASSPATH variable. I turned on servlet-mapping in the web.xml, stopped the server and restarted it and everything is working.