We are developing a new application from scratch, and we are thinking of developing using Servlets and JSP. There are around 10 screens to be developed in this application, around 25 tables in the data model.
I have many fundamental questions this:
1. Do we need to consider any specific design pattern to be used in this?
2. If so, is there a site where we can find sample application(s) following a design pattern?
3. What pattern is good for this kind of simple application, if it is better to use a pattern?
Thanks for your time.
Joined: May 24, 2004
I would recommend using the MVC2 (or Model 2) design pattern. There are many resources on the web that do a good job explaining it.
Some may be tempted to recommend Struts, but your application is rather small,and the struts learning curve is rather high, so I would stick to a simple MVC pattern that utilizes a DAO.
“Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.” - Rich Cook
Joined: Dec 10, 2004
Hi 1. Design patterns are for us and we are not for design pattern. So if you really need to use design you can look out else you can yourself design the application without a design pattern.
2. Since it is a web based application with only 10 screen, i would suggest you to go with MVC design.
3. Since you are working database, you need to use connection pooling, so you can look out for how service pattern is used.
4. I feel heavy data would be transfered between frontend and db, i would suggest you to check the data tansfer object pattern.
Again, this all conclusion are based on short introduction you have given about your project. Let us know more to give our inputs.
More inputs are welcomed. Correct me if i am wrong.